Like Button

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Where Wrath and Mercy Met

We sang a song in church a week or so ago. I can't tell you the title. There was a line in the song that spoke about the Cross as the place where "love and mercy" met.

I thought about that. It's true. Love and mercy met there. But I think of love and mercy as related already, so "met" doesn't seem as remarkable or appropriate to me. I mean, if you love someone, you will tend to show them mercy anyway. Love and mercy are already acquainted. To me, there were other things that "met" at the Cross, things more mysterious.

At the Cross, wrath and mercy met. That's a contrast. At the Cross, Christ received the wrath of God on my behalf, the wrath I deserved, so that I could be shown mercy. Wrath and mercy seem contradictory, but at the Crucifixion, they were introduced to each other (so to speak).

At the Cross, justice and grace met -- again, a contrast rather than a parallel. And it was so necessary. God had a "dilemma" to solve. In Him we find attributes such as love, mercy, and grace, but we also find things like justice and wrath. God intended to show us His mercy, but He also intended to show His wrath. He intended to show us grace, but He couldn't disregard His justice. So what was He to do? In Christ at the Cross we find the divine solution. Pour out on His sinless Son the judgment that I deserve and show me mercy and grace.

Sure, love and mercy were at the Cross. I am more amazed at the crossing of wrath and mercy, the junction of grace and justice. And I am so glad that He did it.

1 comment:

Jim Jordan said...

To paraphrase your point, the cross represents the worst thing that ever happen, and the best thing that ever happened - all in one. Only the one true God could pull that off.