Like Button

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Ultimate Good

The Ultimate Good. That is the question. No downstream good. No ultimate good with lower case letters. The Ultimate Good. Despite the jockeying for position that we like to do, in the final analysis, everyone seems to think it's out there. We can determine what is good and what is bad and we don't need any help at all, thank you very much.

Our first thought -- our reflex, actually -- is to ask, "What is good for me?" It seems like it's often the only question that is asked. So common is it that it's often not even asked; it's just assumed. "If it doesn't hurt you, why would you object?" The question assumes that my only concern is "What is good for me?" That's how most drivers determine their driving manners. "What works for me?" Never mind that they just cut off traffic behind them. It's really quite irrelevant that you had to slam on your brakes, skid sideways, and swerve in time to avoid hitting that pedestrian. They got where they were going. That's how many parents determine their parenting skills. "What works for me?" So they try to keep things "nice" in their homes and they avoid making their kids mad and they try to be their children's best friend. Never mind that the little devils make everyone wince when they arrive. It is of little consequence to them that no one wants to be around these terrors. And what impact these little monsters will have when they get big isn't currently in mind because "What works for me right now?" may not be "What works for me then?".

Immediately, then, it becomes obvious that "What works for me?" doesn't really work very well. We end up in a clenched confrontation going around in circles about who gets to decide what's best and who gets to make the rules, not realizing that we're simply circling the drain. Making my personal interests the Number One concern, the arbiter of all things good, just doesn't work in a world where there is more than just me. Even though it's the most common method, it is by far the least successful.

There are other methods, you know. Sure you do. There is "What is best for my family?" There is "What is good for my neighbor?" There is "What works for my fellow townspeople or the people of my state or my country?" There is "What is it that God has in mind?" Now, sure, that's often near the end of the list, and obviously I'd recommend moving that one to the top, but it is a valid, useful question. Wait a minute! My original question was asking how we achieve the Ultimate Good. Now that I think about it, maybe that last question should obviously be the first one instead. After all, wouldn't it be best to have the Ultimate Good determining what is Ultimately Good?

No comments: