Like Button

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Meme Response

Yuck! Memes ... don't like them at all. But I am one who does as he's told, and I was told I had to do this thing, so here goes.

1) What was I doing 10 years ago?
Wait ... I'm old ... let me think. Ten years ago ... that would be ... I have a calculator ... okay, 1998. In 1998 I was in the middle of my 14 years of working for a company in California that made recorders for spacecraft and highly accurate frequency and timing systems. I was an elder in my church on the verge of being asked to leave. (It's the natural outcome of having ideas that don't align with the "mainstream". Either get used to it or don't have them.) I had four kids at home, although the oldest was 20. Wow, that's right, she moved out soon thereafter. Now she's married and has her third child on the way. You know, I don't think I like this question. Moving on ...

2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today
A) Make a list of 5 things to do today.
B) Remember where to find the list.
3) Try to be more consistent.
D) Fix whatever problems work might throw at me ... immediately ... without exception or error. (Yeah, perfection is on my "to-do list" for the day. No, I don't expect to reach it.)
5) Forget about making to-do lists and just get through the day.

3) Snacks I enjoy
That's a hard one for me. Over the years friends, doctors, family, all have told me to "Watch what you eat." Since I was young they were taking away the "good stuff" and substituting margarine for butter, Tab for Coke, non-fat milk for whole milk, and the like. Today, I've just about arrived at not snacking at all because, frankly, just about anything I might have liked to snack on either tastes funny to me or is somehow bad for me. Not fair! Okay, pass the peanut butter and crackers and leave me alone. No thanks ... I don't feel like an apple. Sigh.

4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire
I cannot even comprehend how to function as a billionaire. I've never dreamt of it. I've never considered it. I wouldn't even want it. In that case, I suppose I'd give it away. There are missions and ministries that could use it. I'd see to it my kids all had houses (in this age of housing crisis). No, I wouldn't see that they had a whole lot of nice things because there is a serious advantage to earning what you want and I don't want to disadvantage my kids. I would make sure my wife had all she wanted. She has earned it ...

5) Places I have lived
Pasadena, Calif.; Biloxi, Miss.; Rapid City, SD; Riverside (or so), Calif.; Syracuse, NY; Rome, NY; Anaheim, Calif.; Phoenix, Arizona. Honestly, there are other places on the list, little places you'd likely not know like Covina and West Covina and Temple City and Fullerton. I spent 6 glorious weeks in San Antonio for Basic Training, but I don't think that qualifies in any sense as "living".

6) 6 peeps I wanna know more about
As I said, I'm the kind of guy that generally does what he's told. On the other hand, I have a rebel streak. Besides, I don't wish this on anyone else. There are certainly 6 (much more than that, even) people about whom I'd like to know more, but I'm not going to tag any of them with this. I'd like to know more about Allison's DH, but he doesn't count, I guess. I'd like to know more about Jim and, frankly, even Dagoods. But the people I'd most like to know more about are the ones here, so I suppose I'll just go ask them, right? Those of you on my list are free to move about the Internet without doing this thing yourselves.

4 comments:

DagoodS said...

If you are interested, I wrote out My Deconversion Story. WARNING! It is 13 chapters (blog entries) long, each being 4-5 pages in Word. Needless to say, it is far too verbose. Interesting immersion into vanity about the person that is me.

Stan said...

Read it. Thanks. I appreciate knowing you a little bit better.

srp said...

Even though, apparently, I don't count, here is my response.

Stan said...

Oh, man, I didn't know you had a blog. You "didn't count" because I didn't think you could answer. Apologies ... and thanks for the info.