Like Button

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Teach Your Children Well

Most parents are quite aware that they are required to teach their children. When it comes to raising their own offspring, "the buck stops here." Sure, there are resources. We can use church and Sunday school and teachers and relatives, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the parents.

So most parents are careful in what they teach their children. They tell them to mind their manners. They tell them not to beat up their younger sister. They tell them to say "Please" and "Thank you". They tell them to obey the policeman. They tell them to avoid strangers. They tell them what they need to be good kids.

Something is missing, of course. There is more to teaching children than what you tell them. There is more to raising children than telling them the right things and finding good teachers for them. Unfortunately, many parents never consider the most common form of teaching: modeling. What do you model for your children? What behaviors do you teach them by your behavior in front of them?

When you yell at your spouse, what are you teaching your children? When you go for a walk with them and cross in the middle of the street, what are you teaching your children? When you take a drive and you're going 65 in a 55 zone, what are you teaching your children? Do you model self-centeredness or selflessness? Do you teach charity by example or only in words? We are careful about what we tell our children, but we rarely consider what our actions tell our children. And I'm convinced that our actions speak louder than words.

I wonder what a kid thinks when their parent is breaking speed laws and telling them, "You have to obey the law." How does a child process that? You may (or may not) think, "There are some laws I can break that don't matter; I know the difference." The child doesn't know that and cannot process it. So when they become teenagers and try drugs, we're shocked. "What made you think you could do that?" Well, the likely answer is "You did", but you probably won't hear it. Is it any surprise that young children are using language that would make your hair curl simply because their parents use that language? I wonder what a child concludes when their parents tell them, "You must respect your parents" but show no respect for each other. I would imagine they're somewhat surprised when they mimic your tirade at Mom and you berate them for it. "Show your mother some respect." They may not say it, but they are certainly thinking, "Why? You don't." We sternly warn our children not to tell lies. They must always be truthful. Of course, when the phone rings and it's your mother-in-law and you tell them, "Tell her I'm outside", will they be able to distinguish the difference between the lies they're not supposed to tell and the ones you do?

Sure, there are things that adults can do that children cannot. Children cannot drive; adults can. Children must not drink alcohol; adults may. And those things need to be taken into consideration. But I'm quite sure that each of us are guilty on a regular basis of teaching our kids by example things that we would never want them to learn by choice. Maybe ... just maybe we ought to consider the classroom of our actions and make the necessary shifts in those activities to demonstrate the behaviors we want them to learn.

5 comments:

That Hideous Man said...

Excellent post... cuts straight to the heart of the matter!

Annette said...

good post. Make a person think a bit. How we act does make a difference, more than what we say I think. :)

Anonymous said...

Quite so. One of my children, an elementary school teacher, was remarking on how rude a student had been to her. Then my son, who happens to know the family, pointed out that he was not surprised at the rudeness displayed to the teacher, because, "She yells at her mom all the time." What we allow at home has a large effect on the attitudes our children display at school, on the sports field, etc.
One wonders, in this situation, why the child's father has not stepped in to prevent such abuse of his wife.
I for one have always agreed with the statement, "One of the best things a man can do for his children is to love their mother," and vice versa. None of us can claim to be a perfect parent, but as the Lord said, love covers a multitude of sins. When we are honest with our children about our own shortcomings, it goes a long way towards undoing the wrong things we have modeled. ~10km

Science PhD Mom said...

This is very true. I have discovered my children are the best imitators out there, and often when I'm surprised by something by daughter does, I only have to look in the mirror to see the source. It's made me pay attention to things like yelling across the house, instead of walking to find someone; or speaking respectfully even if I'm upset. How can my three year old learn how to behave that way, if I can't manage it myself when I'm upset? A better mirror than children was never made.

Stan said...

Yes, the little dickens are sometimes little mirrors. Somewhat related, I also found that I learned a lot from my little ones and how they related to me about how I related to God. they aren't as "refined" as me, but I was somewhat embarrassed to realize that I often do many of the same things with God that they did with me to try to get they wanted. It was funny at times, but rarely pretty.