Like Button

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Obedience is Hard Work

The other day I was driving down the freeway on my way home. Now, I'm in the habit of doing the speed limit. It saves money. It saves gas. It saves me from worrying about speeding tickets. It produces less "gotta get there" tension. It's a good thing. In the rearview mirror I saw a police car approaching, lights flashing. Quick check: Speed -- good, lights -- checked, registration -- current. "I wonder," I thought, "where he's going?" You see, I knew it wasn't me he was after.

Jesus said, "Whoever does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me" (Matt. 10:38). He said, "Take My yoke upon you" (Matt. 11:29). Paul said, "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Phil. 2:12). It seems that Christianity, while a gift of free grace, is hard work. You need to be obedient. You need to work out your salvation. You need to take up your cross. Work, work, work.

Most of us think that way. Being obedient is hard work. Being bad is easy. So why do we read that there is "rest" in Christ? If being good is all that hard, why would Jesus say, "My yoke is easy, and My burden is light" (Matt. 11:30)? Well, there is more than one reason. One is really important. Following Paul's exhortation to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" he says, "for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure" (Phil. 2:13). Being obedient for a Christian isn't as hard as it seems because the work being done within us accomplishes everything we need to do it. God Himself gives us the desire (will) and power (work) to do what He wants. What else is necessary?

Another reason is illustrated in my opening example. I didn't have to fear the police because I wasn't doing anything wrong. Speaking of civil authorities, Paul says, "Do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain" (Rom. 13:3-4). In broader terms, Jesus said, "Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matt. 10:28).

Sometimes we get the idea that being obedient is a lot of work and being bad is easy. Perhaps there is some truth to it. Being bad come naturally to sinful humans. But in the bigger picture, it's a lot harder to be bad than obedient because of the costs involved. Let me offer another example. It's really easy to ridicule your boss when your boss isn't there. If you didn't know he was standing behind you, you might easily make fun of him. But if you knew he was there, it is a lot harder to deride him. That takes real effort because of the real risk.

Jesus said, "Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light" (Matt. 11:28-30). Is it work? Yes, a "yoke" implies hard work. But, in the end, it is "easy" and "light" and provides "rest for your souls". Maybe it's not really so much hard work to be obedient.

No comments: