Like Button

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Is This Baptist Theology?

Dr. Roger Olson is a Professor of theology at George W. Truett Theological Seminary, a component of Baylor University, the largest Baptist university in the world. The Lariat Online, Baylor's online newspaper, has published an article by the good doctor entitled Calvinist view of bridge collapse distorts God's character. Now there's an "olive branch" title if I've ever seen one.

Dr. Olson is writing first about the bridge collapse in Minneapolis and John Piper's response (although Piper is not specifically mentioned). "To him and his followers, God foreordained, planned and indirectly (if not directly) caused the event." Olson finds this a distortion of God's character. But it gets worse. "A popular Christian band sings 'There is a reason' for everything. They mean God renders everything certain and has a good purpose for whatever happens." Can you imagine that anyone would think that God has a reason for everything and works all things together for good? Can you even fathom that someone would suggest that God works all things according to the counsel of His will? What nonsense!

Dr. Olson complains, "What about God's character? Is God, then, the author of evil? Most Calvinists don't want to say it. But logic seems to demand it." He has an alternative suggestion. "But what if God limits himself so that much of what happens in the world is due to human finitude and fallenness? What if God is in charge but not in control? What if God wishes that things could be otherwise and someday will make all things perfect?" Dr. Olson sees this God as "more like the God of the Bible":
In this world, because of our ignorance and sinfulness, really bad things sometimes happen and people do really evil and wicked things. Not because God secretly plans and prods them, but because God has said to fallen, sinful people, "OK, not my will then, but thine be done -- for now."

And God says, "Pray because sometimes I can intervene to stop innocent suffering when people pray; that's one of my self-limitations. I don't want to do it all myself; I want your involvement and partnership in making this a better world."
I find it ironic that a professor of theology at the largest Baptist university in the world finds his version of God "more like the God of the Bible" without a single reference to the Bible. I understand his intentions. "It's a different picture of God than most conservative Christians grew up with, but it's the only one (so far as I can tell) that relieves God of responsibility for sin and evil and disaster and calamity." Poor God. He needs to be relieved of responsibility for sin, evil, disaster, and calamity.

Can you imagine being God's lawyer in a court of law? It would be tough. You'd have to keep Him quiet -- make sure He doesn't testify on His own behalf -- because if He spoke, He'd sink Himself.

"God, exactly how far does your influence go?" the prosecutor asks.

"I work all things after the counsel of My will1," God answers, and His lawyer cringes.

"All things?" the prosecutor would ask. "What about disaster and calamity?"

"I am the LORD, and there is no other, the One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these2."

"So, you admit to causing disasters. What about sin? Do you admit to any involvement there?"

"I don't tempt anyone3, but I harden whom I desire4, send evil spirits5 and deceiving spirits6, and even make sure that some folks never hear or understand the gospel7."

God's lawyer puts his face in his hands in utter defeat and the prosecutor, his face beaming in triumph, looks to the judge for a verdict ... only to find that the Judge is God Himself and no one -- no created being -- has the option of passing judgment on the God of all the universe.
You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?" On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use, and another for common use? (Rom. 9:19-21)
Dr. Olson, I would suggest that, rather than attempting to conform God to your personal preferences and calling yourself a "professor of theology," you practice the study of God ("theology") and conform your idea of God to what He has revealed in His Word. It's a different picture of God than you might like, but it's the only one (so far as I can tell) that conforms to the God of the Bible.

__________________________
1 Eph. 1:11
2 Isa. 45:6-7
3 James 1:13
4 Rom. 9:18
5 1 Sam. 16:14
6 1 Kings 22:23
7 John 12:39-40

8 comments:

Samantha said...

Last night I was reading in Job, and today was reminded of what I read,

(The LORD is speaking to Job's friends, after they were accusing Job that it was his sins that caused his calamities):

"My anger burns against you and against your two friends, for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has."

To attribute anything BUT complete sovereignty to the LORD is not speaking of God in the right way. I would not dare assume this bridge incident was out of God's Hands!!

I wish people would be more careful when speaking of the LORD. After all, I wouldn't want His anger burning against me.

Stan said...

It's a shame coming from a "theology professor," but I suppose it explains why so much theology in America is so weak. I wouldn't want to be on God's "black list" ... that's for sure.

Compassionate Conservative said...

Stan,
I will post a reponse on a Bog in the next day or two. Feel free to respond

Science PhD Mom said...

2 Peter 2:1 says it all: "But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves."

Bingo.

Jim Jordan said...

"Professor of Meology" has a certain verissimilitude, eh?
Or how about replacing "Sola Scriptura" with "Nada Scriptura"?

This was an excellent critique of what is going wrong in the church. That this ["OK, not my will then, but thine be done -- for now."] would pass for theology speaks volumes. The truth is that Buffet Christianity is flourishing in the seminaries.

That's a great point of putting God in the docket. He would not do Himself any good. Maybe that's why He should not be put to the test!

Awesome article. Muy bien.

David said...

I look forward to the day when everyone looks to God to accuse Him, only to find He was right, and that He is the judge, jury, and executioner. Just because we don't like what God says about Himself doesn't mean it's false. There is a science fiction movie that shows an argument between 2 people about the idea of a 'brain bug'. The guy that doesn't believe there is a 'brain bug' says that he doesn't believe in one because he finds the idea of one offensive. Oh, how Man does that to God everyday. How sad to believe something false just because it offends you. Why can't that work reverse? I am offended by sexual abuse, therefore it doesn't exist. Nope, still happening.

Compassionate Conservative said...

Stan,
My response is now posted. Feel free to respond- I look forward to hearing from you. God bless!
Compassionate Conservative

FzxGkJssFrk said...

Hey Stan, good post. See also Andy Osenga's blog - here. The professor quoted a Caedmon's Call song in his article.