Like Button

Saturday, July 18, 2026

News Weakly - 7/18/2026

An Evil Twist
A pro-Palestine protest in Sweden sported a mock Auschwitz gate with “Gaza” written on it to mock Israel … for defending themselves. Not right, Sweden, for any reason. But, the news offers scant information about the ongoing attacks of Hamas on Israel (like IEDs, snipers, tunnel attacks, or rocket launches) because it’s decreased (but not gone) and the media prefers reporting civilian casualties to military ones. (And, of course, there's the standard anti-Israel media bias.) I suspect if Hamas would stop restoring military capabilities and attacking troops in Gaza and such, maybe Israel would stop defending herself against them. I’m just sayin’.

Explosive WHAT??
Reports are out of a parasite outbreak which includes, according to every media outlet I’ve seen, “explosive diarrhea.” I’m thinking I didn’t need that descriptive detail. “Explosive”? The FDA says they’ve found a culprit—lettuce supplied to Taco Bell restaurants. Of course, it’s just a beginning, but they’re working on it. There have been 1,644 confirmed cases, 94 hospitalizations and no deaths according to that story, which confirms my long-held belief that sometimes the news media serves as a terrorist organization by scaring viewers into an unnecessary panic when there aren’t even 2,000 cases in a nation of more than 330 million people. Keep your heads, people. Okay, maybe not your heads of lettuce, but you know what I mean.

You Keep Using That Word
The headlines are about renewed U.S., Israeli, and Iranian attacks in the ceasefire. Now, I may have a problem with English, but isn’t a “ceasefire” when people cease firing? Anyway, Iran hasn’t given up its “ownership” of the Strait of Hormuz or hitting targets and the U.S. and Israel haven’t given up retaliating and it’s a mess. Here’s a tip. When you agree to a ceasefire, cease firing. Just a suggestion, of course.

Moving Forward … Hopefully
The 21st Century Road to Housing Act became law last week without Trump’s approval. It combines 47 proposals to reduce housing costs and increase housing supply, but who knows if it actually will? I recently recalled that the opposite of “progress” is “congress,” so we’ll see if it remains a truism.

Some Fake News You Might Like
Running with the "Explosive WHAT??" story above, the Bee reports that Taco Bell is now offering new Imodium A-D sauce packets with their food sales to assist customers with their explosive … no … I’m not writing that disturbing phrase again. In other news, Idaho has built a border wall entirely out of potatoes to keep Californians out. Good on you, mate. I feel your pain. Finally, with the actual news of Secretary of War Pete Hegseth ordering testing for testosterone deficiency among military personnel, the Bee is further reporting that he has issued a new order to have military personnel with low testosterone be transferred to the Navy. (That might be an inside joke for much of the military personnel.) But ... won't that just make an almost entirely female navy?

Must be true; I read it on the internet.

8 comments:

Lorna said...

Explosive WHAT??
At the risk of extending the potty talk, I am mindful that Taco Bell’s food has always been known to have that effect on people--even before the parasite--and probably will continue to do so. It seems this latest scare is just the tip of the iceberg…lettuce, that is.

Moving Forward … Hopefully
It’s been a long time since I heard that “the opposite of ‘progress’ is ‘congress.’” Sounds so true to me. Although I do like Congress’s move to eliminate the observation of Daylight Savings Time--but you wouldn’t care about that in AZ, eh? Then this blurb heading could be “Springing Forward and Falling Back … Hopefully No More”!

Some Fake News You Might Like
“Running with the ‘Explosive WHAT??’ story above, …”--let’s leave “the runs” out of it! ;)

David said...

An Evil Twist
There are some simply stupid people out there that on one hand believe Israel should only defend herself and never retaliate, but on the other that Ukraine should continue it's attacks into Russia. And they believe that the IDF should only use special forces strikes to target Hamas and Hezbollah to remove any chance of civilian casualties. These people simply have no grasp on reality.

Explosive WHAT??
I'm sorry, but if you eat at Taco Bell and don't get explosive..., that's a good day. Jokes aside, there should be a way of reporting such news without creating a panic. It just seems that news media is so desperate to remain relevant that they must resort to fear-mongering.

You Keep Using That Word
A ceasefire works only if both sides agree to it. If one side calls timeout and the other keeps playing, are we then obligated to keep the timeout? A second problem is a problem with Islam in particular. The Qur'an (or Quran or Koran or however you spell the stupid thing) allows and encourages Muslims to lie to non-Muslims in regards to religious attacks, and they certainly will claim the attack on Iran as a religious attack since they are a religious dictatorship. So they could even agree with a ceasefire and not consider breaking it as wrong. We are fighting a battle with people that simply don't share our views of right and wrong. They killed 10s of thousands of their own citizens earlier this year and probably thought it was the good and right things to do. Do we really think calling ceasefire means anything to people like that? (Keep in mind when I'm speaking about Iran, it is more about the militant leadership than the general populace. Apparently there is a sizeable chunk of the population that isn't even devout Muslim.)

Moving Forward ... Hopefully
As pointed out in the article, the Fed has very little control locally in this area. For some reason we've come to this idea that the Federal government must be the one to fix all our problems, when in reality the Federal government has very little say. I mean, the Fed can't even stop the states from depriving their people of Constitutional rights very well. I won't be holding my breath that this bill will make any significant impact. The easiest way to increase supply right now that the Fed can do is more deportations and even add in revocations of green cards and refugee status's that were improperly allowed under Biden and Obama. Remove millions of people and basic economics kicks in, supply increases AND demand decreases. A bill containing 47 other bills simply won't have nearly as much effect as enforcing the laws currently on the books, and in my opinion will simply allow for more bureaucracy to muddle things even more. I mean really, of those that voted for this bill, how many actually read all 47 bills? That would have been days of reading that those people simply don't have the time or desire to do. Who knows what is actually in this bill other than the highlights?

Stan said...

Actually, that "Daylight Savings Time" (DST) shift WILL have an effect on Arizona. We don't have DST ... we have the correct "Sun time" as it were. But this would not be eliminating DST; it would be making DST permanent and we'd have to change our clocks for this new one-hour fake time. In fact, workers who work outdoors here go to work in the early morning in the summer and come home in early afternoon to avoid the worst of the heat. Permanent DST would expose them to worse heat.

Lorna said...

I appreciate the clarification (I thought you wouldn’t need to change, but I understand now). I think there are pros and cons to each schedule that balance things out, and I suppose it depends on where in the country one lives and also on the seasonal changes that occur regardless of clock adjustments. Personally, I can adjust to either schedule; it’s the back and forth I don’t like. (I will say that keeping the local times straight was a bit tricky on our road-trip through the southwest two years ago as we drove west through NM and AZ into NV, and then in reverse going east.)

Stan said...

I was actually surprised to discover that the reason Arizona has resisted DST is specifically because of that consideration ... heat for outdoor workers in the summer. That's the reason the Navajo nation (in northeastern Arizona) do observe DST. They're not in the heat.

David said...

Probably not a popular take, but if temperature is the problem, it seems like it would make sense simply to shift working hours through the year for those that need it. Rather than forcing everyone to shift, only those that need to would shift their waking hours, kind of like how it used to be before a rigid "9-to-5" schedule and people simply rose and set with the sun.

Lorna said...

David, I would tend to agree. We can assume that different groups of people will both like and dislike having DST be permanent. When I heard about this proposal in the House of Representatives, I thought they were moving to return to regular “Sun time,” as Stan termed it. Offhand, that made better sense to me, but then again, I have done no research on the matter. (Hopefully, the politicians have!)

P.S. On a lighthearted note: Your final clause made me think of the proverb, "Man works from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done.” Evidently, outdoor workers in Arizona are not in view here. ;)

Craig said...

The problem with the bill that supposedly helps make housing more affordable is that much of the affordability of homes is directly tied to local fees, costs, and requirements. Get rid of the governmental impediments and things will likely get better.