Like Button

Wednesday, August 17, 2022

The Goofy Gophers

I grew up with Warner Brothers cartoon characters like Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner. All good stuff. My favorites, however, were somewhat obscure. They did perhaps 6 episodes with these characters. They were called the "goofy gophers." Their primary characteristic was their extreme politeness to each other. "You first." "Oh, no, I insist, you first." Always cheerful; always kind to each other. I think that these two are the caricature of marriage.

Think about it. The command to wives is clear and unequivocal. "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord" (Eph 5:22). Dance around that all you want, but if you're going to be true to the text and the context, it is some serious submission. I mean, "as to the Lord"? That's serious. On the other hand, husbands have their own particular instruction. "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her" (Eph 5:25). "Love your wives." Oh, that's not too bad. Hang on. "As Christ loved." Well, okay, that raises the bar. "As Christ loved the church." And how did He do that? He "gave Himself up for her." Gave self up. Picture that. He didn't ask, "What are my preferences?" He didn't wonder, "Hey, what about Me?" He didn't demand that she submit or that He get what He wanted. He gave self up. For her.

In Philippians Pauls writes,
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Php 2:5-8)
Let's see. What did He start with? "In the form of God." Now that's the top, isn't it? Did He hang on to "What would I enjoy?" No. He "emptied Himself" and He took on "the form of a servant" and humbled Himself to death. By choice. That is not possibly "What about Me?" That is "gave Himself up for her" to the extreme. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her. Even to death. Even against all the things you think you'd like better than that.

And we end up here at the "goofy gophers." She is saying, "I delight in submitting to my Lord, so I will submit to my husband as to the Lord. I'll do whatever it is he commands because I am trusting God." And he is saying, "I find my joy in obeying my God, so I will surrender my own personal wishes and desires in order to give her anything and everything I am and have for her very best." Finding great joy in seeking eagerly to give to the other the very best at all times. "After you!" "Oh, no, I insist. You go first." As a way of life. I like it. I don't see it much because we believers are rarely eager to obey to that extent, but, hey, I can dream, can't I?

2 comments:

Craig said...

Submission in this context has always been contentious. I think the biggest problem is that husbands don't do a great job in our role, which makes submission harder for wives. Theoretically, God's commands aren't predicated on what others do it still seems like a barrier. People also don't seem to understand that submission is voluntary. The world likes to present this as men forcing women into submitting when it's not that at all.

I'm seeing a subculture of younger women who are publicly embracing this lifestyle and it's interesting to watch how they navigate this choice, and the responses they get.

Stan said...

I agree with you. If husbands loved like they are commanded to, most women wouldn't have the slightest problem of submitting to someone like that ... nor would they have a problem of submitting to a God who loves them like that.