Like Button

Wednesday, September 04, 2024

Right Where He Wants You to Be

I've been thinking about the famous "Peter walks on water" story. You remember (Matt 14:22-33). The disciples were on the Sea of Galilee in a storm and Jesus walked out to check on them. They thought He was a ghost, but Peter said, "If it's You, command me to come to You." He did, and Peter stepped out of the boat -- actually walked on water. Of course, he got distracted by the storm, panicked, and Jesus had to save Him, but he walked on water.

I was thinking. That's exactly where Jesus wants us to be ... all the time. No, not on water. In total reliance on Him. Nothing about me; all about Him. There was nothing in Peter that would allow for "walk on water." Nothing he could conjure up. No skills or practice available. It was just ... Jesus. Everything about Peter relied completely on Jesus in that moment. When he placed his full confidence to provide everything, he walked on water. When he did not, he sank.

I am constantly seeing texts telling us to give it up ... all of it. Take up your cross. Die to self. Walk in new life. Kill the old man. It is, in ourselves, impossible. But if we trust Him -- you know, put our faith in Him -- and count on Him for everything, that is perfectly where we need to be. Our need for love and affirmation, our sense of value, our comfort (or lack thereof), our felt and real needs, our purpose, our direction, our desires and fears, our peace, our strength ... all of it right there in Him. Not me. Not others. Not circumstances. Him. When we stand there, unarmed and incapable, He has us right where He wants us, and we can walk on water.

2 comments:

David said...

Paul tells us we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. When we don't do them through Christ, we are destined to fail.

Lorna said...

I am generally not one to go “out on a limb” but prefer to keep my feet firmly on solid ground; I realize (through reading this post) that this preference stems from a need to feel safe and comfortable…and competently in control. As the book title reads, “If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat.” I don’t necessarily “want to walk on water,” but I do want to have full fellowship with the Lord and to find my strength and security in Him. “Oh for grace to trust Him more” that way!