Like Button

Monday, March 06, 2023

Even Me

I caught the Jesus Revolution movie last week, the true story of a stodgy old pastor (Chuck Smith) who learned from a genuine hippy (Lonnie Frisbee) that hippies need Jesus, too, and started a movement that swept the country. I won't be reviewing that movie. I looked up Lonnie afterwards and discovered that they left a lot out. Lonnie eventually parted ways with Chuck (in the movie) and went on to John Wimber's Vineyard church where he is credited with igniting a charismatic fire. He was later dismissed from Vineyard when it came to light that he was a closet homosexual. His wife left him for his multiple affairs with men and he ultimately died of HIV. "There," some voices in Christianity will say, "proof that it was all not of God." Really?

I remember the story of some malicious brothers who intended to kill their younger brother but ended up selling him off as a slave. There he became perfectly positioned to save his family, the nation that his family would become, and ultimately all who trust in Christ (because He came from that family). He told his brothers, "You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good" (Gen 50:20). I remember the story of a prophet who went off to curse God's people but was stopped ... by his donkey (technically, his ass). Balaam's ass talked to him and turned him around and Balaam did not curse Israel as planned (Num 22). I remember a story of a judge in Israel who was ruled by his passions -- his temper and his lust -- but ultimately brought down the house ... literally (Judg 16:28-30). It seems to me that Scripture is full of "losers" that God uses to accomplish amazing things.

If God can use murderous men to save a nation, if God can use an Israelite playboy to save His people, if God can use Balaam's ass to accomplish His will, then why not a cranky old pastor and a crazy homosexual hippy to create revival? You see, it's not about the shiny, perfect tools that God uses. It's about God. Always. He doesn't do it to show off His excellent tools; He does it to the praise of His glory. It's why Paul could say, "We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God" (Rom 8:28). I think "you meant it for evil but God meant it for good" is the everyday norm of human living rather than the exception. If God can use so many "losers" -- sinners to their deaths -- to accomplish His good will, then clearly He can use you. And, startlingly, even me.

7 comments:

Craig said...

I'm glad you got to see it, I'd still like to. I saw a review of it that addressed the Lonnie Frisbee issue and made the point that the movie is telling Chuck Smith and Greg Laurie's story, not Lonnie Frisbee. There were several incredibly flawed people that were deeply involved in the Jesus Movement during the 60's. My take is that, just like your examples, YHWH can and does used flawed humans to move His work forward for His glory. Which also gives me hope.

David said...

I'm always perturbed when Christians say God can't use nonbelievers. Scripture is quite clear that God uses all of creation to further His Kingdom. Unfortunately, the question of the validity of the work of apostate clergy isn't new, but I believe it is quite clear that God is at work in each and every person for His good purpose.

Craig said...

Absolutely. I agree that it is possible for YHWH to use even apostate pastors to fulfill His works, yet I also suspect that that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be corrected.

Stan said...

That's the beauty of it. On one hand it says anyone can be used by God, but on the other hand it does not excuse the wrong. Joseph didn't say, "Since God meant it for good, you guys are okay." Judas Iscariot didn't get a pass because betraying his Messiah was actually part of God's plan. In the end, then, God wins.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog because of your take on Pauline Dispensation and just read this.
Can I just say as a millennial husband, father, son, and friend THANK YOU!!! Stan, you’re a breath of fresh air. I wish that I had someone like you around in my daily life to learn from and talk with and suck you dry for your wisdom!
So many millennials are yearning for men like you, but have pushed away or dismissed because we are different. Seriously, Stan: reading your blog has moved my heart deeply to just want more God and to really dive that much deeper into scripture. Thank you thank you thank you!

Stan said...

Thank you for your kind words, Anon. I guess that would be a vote for me not to quit blogging, eh? :) Or, more likely, it's God telling me, "Don't worry, Stan, I've got this."

Anonymous said...

It’s my pleasure! I tried signing into my google account so that I wasn’t anonymous, but I keep getting an error. If you do decide to quit your blog, that would be a bummer, but luckily I have years already cataloged and I can read it.
I can’t even believe that I didn’t stumble across this earlier.
Many blessings, Justin.