Like Button

Monday, March 13, 2023

Greed

In 2 Peter 2, Peter writes about false prophets and teachers. He says what we already know -- they will be "among you" (2 Peter 2:1). Not "out there." Not "somewhere else." It was these to whom Jesus referred when He spoke of wolves in sheep's clothing (Matt 7:15). One key trait Peter included was greed -- "They have hearts trained in greed." (2 Peter 2:14) -- and Jesus referred to them as "ravenous" (Matt 7:15). I don't know about you, but I'm thinking that "greed" is a bad thing.

When we think of greed we think of people that want more stuff, but we all know that's not the limit, right? You can be greedy for all sorts of things -- fame, power, wealth, adoration, just about anything. The critical component is selfishness. It's interesting, then, that Scripture says that greed "amounts to idolatry" (Col 3:5). Huh ... idolatry, you say. The word in Greek is the same idea as ours. It means simply "one who wants more." Other versions call it "covetousness" -- "one who wants more." And which of us cannot be described with this term? We want more. Maybe we're really holy and it's not "stuff" or money or fame. We're better than that. More comfort. More ease. More friends. More love. This idolatry is characterized as "selfish," where our desire for more is specifically "more for me." Where, then, is the idol in this idolatry? Me. Like it says elsewhere, we worship and serve the creature rather than the Creator (Rom 1:25). As simple as "I deserve better."

Now, of course, unbelievers are okay with that. Believers must not be. But we are, aren't we? That's because we're Americans who are taught to get all you can. That's because we're humans that are wired for selfishness. And that's because we either don't recognize it or don't believe it is idolatry. "It's not idolatry; it's just the normal desire for more." So, who are you going to believe? Yourself, or God's Word? Your answer might have larger ramifications than you'd like to think.

4 comments:

David said...

It's annoying that I think this way, even though I know the truth, that I am a sinner and the only thing I deserve is not better, but Hell.

Marshal Art said...

There's a fine line between ambition and greed. Wanting more isn't greed necessarily. If we're hungry, we want more. Is that greed/selfishness? What about conveniences? Are we to eschew them in favor of struggle and suffering? I see warnings against coveting as being a desire for that which is the property or spouses of others, not for wanting similar. The true measure is always one's true allegiance...to God or things. Wanting more things, if one has not first laid up treasures in heaven is a bad thing. Simply wanting more? No. Not bad.

Stan said...

The dictionary defines greed with two descriptors -- intense and selfish desire. What you want more of doesn't define greed. Why you want it does and how much you want it does. And having conveniences, comfort, etc. isn't greed. It is pursuing them with "intense and selfish desire." I think, however, that greed is one of those "excusable sins" we find (like "gossip", etc.) that we will relabel as something positive (like calling gossip "sharing prayer requests"). Americans will often admit that greed is bad, but praise ambition. When does "wanting more" not saying, "God is not enough"? (Not saying it isn't. I'm wondering where that line occurs.) But, again, it's about intense and selfish desire. And, again, I think that most American Christians embrace it (perhaps with a relabel) because it is so ... human, so ... American. It is capitalism, isn't it? How could that be wrong?

Craig said...

As someone who is self employed, this notion of how much is too much is one I struggle with. I firmly believe that all of our provision flows through YHWH and that He will take care of our needs. I've started to be intentional about thanking Him and acknowledging His control over what happens. At the same time, I am convinced that I still need to put in the effort to find business. I can't sit around and wait until stuff drops in my lap. What I've recently learned is that I need to be consistent in doing my stuff regardless of how well things are going. At this point, I guess the answer is to trust that YHWH will be in control, and that whatever I have or do is through Him.

I'm convinced that the issue is more about our attitude toward this, than about how much we have materially and what we do with what we have.