Like Button

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

My New Theory

I live in a large metropolitan area. That means that I encounter crowds most places I go. Most anyone can tell you that there is a dearth of common courtesy out there, worse than it has been in the past. There is a civility shortage and people are on hair triggers emotionally. (The mere word, "triggered," upsets some people.) And there is a surge of the "me first" mentality. "Of course I can take this spot between these two cars traveling down the highway at 70MPH. I'm the important one here." "No one will complain if I leave my shopping cart to block the aisle while I chat with someone. I'm the important one here." It's there, and it's getting worse. I came up with a new theory.

Since the advent of the internet, there has been a surge of bullying and a decline of civility. Those both existed prior, but the internet has really made them a growth market. Why is that? Simply put, anonymity. People on the internet are anonymous. You don't know who they are, so they feel like they can set aside any façade of kindness and let people have it ... with both barrels. Look at comment feeds or Facebook or Twitter and watch the venom drip. Why? Because you don't know who I am, so I can say what I want without consequences.

I believe that same principle is at work in the busy cities, the busy highways, the busy stores all around us. The quaint notion of "community" and "neighbors" has been edged out by big city anonymity. Most people hardly know their own neighbors. And the more affluent they are, the worse it gets. I remember back in the 90's there was a blackout for the entire bottom half of California. It was summer and it was miserable. My wife and I drove into our neighborhood and were surprised at all the people outside talking, chatting, sharing something cold to drink or the like. No one ever came out in our neighborhood before. And I realized what had happened to those charming times when neighbors knew neighbors -- air conditioning. Sure, that's an oversimplification, but back when our homes weren't completely and totally self-contained, we needed our neighbors. We had porches to sit on and talk to passers-by. We'd share meals and know that Mrs. Jones had had a baby and we'd bring food. No longer. We've got it covered. It's all right there in our homes -- all the creature-comforts you could want. Who needs neighbors? And we're now anonymous.

God made us for "one anothers." Love one another. Bear one anothers burdens. Forgive one another. Be kind to one another. On and on. But we, in our "new and improved" modern era, have determined that "one another" need only be found on Facebook and email. Now we can minimize the contact, minimize the connection, and do whatever we please ... anonymously. Who did I just cut off on the freeway? Who knows? Who cares? But beyond the obvious dangers, it is fatal to society when the anonymous outnumber those who care. So you and I need to make an effort to be the exception. We need to do our good works in such a way that those who see them will glory the Father. You can quote me on that if you want.

10 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Yeah...the internet chat venues bring to mind the crass term "beer b....", meaning someone who's tough because of the beer. It gave him spine he doesn't ordinarily have. The online discussions have a similar effect due to the anonymity. I've always tried to go out of my way to be courteous...but after a while, a familiarity does set in. You deal with the same people long enough...as on the blogs...and it doesn't matter neither have met. One knows all one needs to know at that point. Or so it would seem.

I like the snark to a degree. The group of people with whom I came up were constantly on each other...the laugh being the thing. Being able to take it meant one would be part of the group indefinitely...certainly not falling out over a falling out. "Outsiders" couldn't deal with it, believing us cruel, when cruel was the joke. Give a take a good shot with equal pleasure.

But cruel for cruelty's sake is often the order of the day on line. One particular fellow was arrogant from day one. It only went downhill from there. Another has the unique notoriety as having been banished from a host of blogs.

I'm fairly certain there would be little difference noticed with that manner in which I act in person versus on line. It's pretty much an ongoing conscious intention to not speak to someone differently than if we were face to face. And yeah, I'm actually worse, face to face. (CDL requirement) The reality is that it's more of a no-nonsense level of discourse which can get salty in a "I'm not intimidated" kinda way.

Overall, I do believe there's a decided drop in courteousness and concern for others. It's been exacerbated by things as mundane as air-conditioning...I don't think that's really an oversimplification as much as one of many driving factors. These days, the lock downs forced the very dynamic as the self-contained home, with the added irritation of having been forced.

Frankly, a number of contributing factors pop into my head as I type this, and no doubt in yours as well. Probably the most egregiously concerning is the lack of God, as so many aren't engaged in regular worship where God's will and the teachings of Jesus are preached regularly.

David said...

"And yeah, I'm actually worse, face to face. (CDL requirement) The reality is that it's more of a no-nonsense level of discourse which can get salty in a "I'm not intimidated" kinda way."

I'm curious. How does that line up with being humble in the face of our antagonists? What is your justification for anger and animosity in Scripture?

Marshal Art said...

I offer no justification, though there is such a thing as righteous anger. Yet I don't put my snark in that category. It simply is how I am, and sometimes I don't care to struggle against it. Yet, it's not so much a matter of hatefulness as it is cutting to the chase. If someone wants to take it as an assault, they weren't listening in the first place before it got to that level. But for some it does put the focus on the point.

Is there any Scriptural justification for taking offense at every slight? For assuming the worst of the other guy because of the manner in which he expresses himself? Two people can call me a nasty name. I can tell which one is serious and which one is not. Folks need to lighten up. Were they to do that, discussions wouldn't escalate to a nasty level.

David said...

I'm not offended. I'm concerned. As a Christian, shouldn't you strive to act in accordance with Scripture? I'm concerned about how your actions reflect on Christ. Should Christians not point out to each other when they reflect poorly on Christ?

Marshal Art said...

It doesn't reflect on Christ at all. It reflects on me. What's Jesus got to do with my misbehavior? Should a non-believer choose to exploit my misbehavior to slight Christ, is Christ truly diminished in the eyes of those who truly see?

I would also ask you if you see no place for aggressive speech ever. Is the cause the important thing, or how "nice" I am when promoting or defending it? The fact is that some respond positively to what some may consider a negative manner. Sometimes it's very helpful for the sake of the other to scream "WAKE THE HELL UP!!" or some such. Consider it a form of "fire and brimstone".

David said...

I guess we have a different definition of speaking the Truth in love. And I don't believe the ends justify the means.

Marshal Art said...

It seems so. I don't believe speaking truth in love necessarily demands a loving tone. Truth is more important than tone, more important that the snarky delivery in which it is delivered. To compromise the transmission in truth in order to appease one's own sentiments seems to put the self before the truth. If I have to yell, insult, get snarky or angry to get the truth heard and understood, how can I not employ any of those techniques? I wish to exhaust all methods before I shake the dust from my sandals.

David said...

If you want to do things the way Jesus didn't, that's on you I guess. You want to do things the way Paul tells us not to, that's on you I guess.

David said...

What bothers me is when Christians proudly proclaim "this is how I acted before becoming a Christian and I'm happy to continue." As Christians, we are called to a changed life. Christ was not walking around exchanging insults and throwing vitriol. Nobody has looked at an angry Christian and saw the love of Christ in that. We are called to be blameless, and to not act as the world acts. Anger doesn't show love for one another. Christ saved his insults for the false pious and the defilement of the Lord's house. But those that slung arrows at him only received patience and kindness.

David said...

James 1:26

[26] If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. (ESV)