Like Button

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Sojourners and Exiles?

In 1 Peter 2:11 Peter refers to us as "sojourners and exiles." That shouldn't come as a shock, really. Paul hints at this when he refers to us as "ambassadors for Christ" (2 Cor 5:20), but declares clearly that "Our citizenship is in heaven." (Php 3:20) The author of Hebrews says that those who died in faith "confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth." (Heb 11:13) Jesus said, "You are not of the world." (John 15:19)

So why are we expecting to be central here? Why are we bemoaning the fact that Christianity is no longer the major influence that it was when the nation began? Why are we surprised that faith is moved out of politics, out of the public square? Why does it befuddle us that we are being marginalized, sidelined, shunted out? Well, that seems to be because we don't see ourselves as Scripture describes us. Hebrews says "Here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come" (Heb 13:14), and most of us are thinking, "No, this is where we belong and we need to make our voices heard!"

What would it look like if we viewed life in America as if we were aliens, visitors, outsiders? Or wherever you find yourself. Much of our approach to politics or church or interpersonal interactions is based on the sense that we're "in," part of the group. In fact, we're an important part of the group. What if we saw ourselves as strangers and exiles, sojourners just here temporarily? How would we approach life differently? How would we approach evangelism differently? How would it change our work ethic? How would it change our daily choices? We'd certainly be less concerned about creature comforts or political control. I think we'd be less strident. I know in human terms I'm miffed when, say, Canadians tell me how bad our country is. "Hey, you're visitors! Show some respect!" Well, we're outsiders here, but we sure don't act like it.

So what about us? Are we residents or visitors? Are we ensconced or just passing through? Do we hold a superior position -- "This is my home!" -- or a respectful one -- "I know this is your place, but I wanted to share some things with you."? Maybe I'm just seeing things askew, but having read all that about "sojourners" and "ambassadors" and looking at how we approach the people around us, it sure doesn't look like we believe that bit in the Bible about "Not of this world." I'm trying to imagine how different it would look if we did. Since I don't have a clear idea of what that would look like, I've clearly put in my roots too deep in this temporary land, haven't I?

6 comments:

Craig said...

"Why are we bemoaning the fact that Christianity is no longer the major influence that it was when the nation began?"

I'd argue that the lack of decline on Christian influence is related to the increased coarsening of society in general. I wouldn't say that I "bemoan" the change, just that in some areas of society there have been declines that seem to parallel the decline of Christianity as an influence.

Stan said...

I guess that might be a suitable answer to the question. "I'm bemoaning the fact that Christianity is no longer a major influence because Christianity is a positive influence on a society and we're removing that influence." But it's not, "We ought to have that kind of influence."

Craig said...

I'm not sure what your point is. I agree that Christianity shouldn't have influence simply because, that Christians should have to earn influence, not have it handed to them.

I think that part of the problem with earning influence is the fact the the deck is stacked much more against Christianity than ever before. I think that most of us simply would like to see the Christian worldview get an even hearing and not be excluded a priori.

I'd argue that if one espouses a Christianity that isn't at odds with the prevailing secular worldview, the one's Christianity is probably the issue.

Stan said...

It seems like you're using the term "influence" in the sense of "power" and I'm not. The effect of a Christian worldview is that it leans toward a more benevolent, moral, caring society. That's the "influence" I'm talking about. When America was started by Christians, they had an influence that wasn't at odds with the world they were in because it was their world. Time has erased that. Too bad.

Craig said...

I'm not necessarily equating influence and power. I'm only saying that influence, needs to be earned, it's not guaranteed or imposed. It's simply harder to earn influence because of the increasing bias against Christianity.

I agree that the influence of Christianity is going to go against the influence of the secular world, and that one result of that will be persecution.

Stan said...

I'm thinking of Jesus's lament. "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" (Matt 23:37) I'm not bemoaning our lack of influence (from our side). I'm sad for my nation who has chosen to jettison the best thing God has to offer.