Like Button

Friday, October 02, 2020

A Hermeneutic

I came across this the other day (Can you tell I've been in 1 John lately?).
They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. (1 John 4:5-6)
John wrote his epistle to counter false teachers that were in the church and to reassure believers. His letter serves as a go-to to see if you are or are not saved. This passage here is one of those "tests." The world hears them; it doesn't hear believers. What is your experience?

I got to wondering. Is this a good hermeneutic? (Hermeneutics refer to the method of interpreting Scripture.) I think it might be. If this is true -- if John is reliable -- then I think that we can look at our own interpretations and ask, "What does the world think?" If the world would look at your interpretation of Scripture and have no problems with it -- no conflict, no outrage, no doubt, just applause, perhaps -- what does that say about your interpretation?

Scripture promises that the world will not hear it. If the world is happy with your version, I would think that would suggest a problem with your version. I'm not sure the reverse is true. I'm not sure I'd say that if the world rejects your view then it's probably right. There are lots of crackpots that the world should rightly reject along with believers. But if they are not disturbed by your interpretation, you might have a problem with your interpretation.

1 comment:

Craig said...

I'm thinking that you've probably hit on some truth here. It's definitely one more tool in the toolbox of interpreting scripture.