Like Button

Thursday, October 01, 2020

On a Personal Note

This is just from me about me on a personal note. I found an interesting quirk in me that was "fun" to watch. (No, not really fun.)

Last week I told someone I was reminded to pray for them every time they offered hate. I gave, as my primary thought, only a reference (1 John 4:20). So, what was my prayer? The text says,
If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. (1 John 4:20)
It's the same thought as in 1 John 3:15. (Now, remember, this is about my quirk, not the text.) So clearly I'm praying, despite the fact that he thinks he's saved, for his salvation. But that's not what I said. Why?

The truth is I'm uncomfortable telling someone, "You think you're saved, but I have grave concerns over that for you." I'm not comfortable telling someone who believes he or she has met the criteria for salvation that it might not be so. I've done it on (very rare) occasion, but I'm not comfortable with it.

The quirk here is that I'm the one that keeps telling you (and me) that the Bible is true even if we don't agree with it. I'm the one that keeps harping on the fact that God's Word is more reliable than our thoughts, perceptions, notions, or … feelings.

So here I am preaching to myself "Let God be found true, though every man be found a liar" (Rom 3:4) where "every man" includes me. I mean, if Jesus could say, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness" (Matt 7:23) or "The gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few" (Matt 7:14) or "You shut the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. For you neither enter yourselves nor allow those who would enter to go in" (Matt 23:13), perhaps it's not wrong for me to share those concerns. So, it would appear, my own discomfort is in opposition to Scripture. Something I'll need to consider and work on. 

16 comments:

Craig said...

you've hit on why I fear God dealing with me justly, and why I hope and pray for mercy.

Marshal Art said...

I'm not following your concern. Are you suggesting that concern for another's behavior and how that behavior impacts their salvation is somehow wrong? How is that "shutting the kingdom of heaven in people's faces"? The person for whom you are concerned has every right and ability to demonstrate that you might be wrong, does he not? They must be doing something questionable that provokes your grave concerns, right? You certainly have the knowledge to be more likely right than wrong about what they're doing, so if you're concern for them is genuine, I don't see why you should be so uncomfortable...beyond the generally and reasonable awkwardness of confronting them about it. What am I missing?

Stan said...

NO, I'm saying that Scripture might tell me that there are grave concerns for that person's salvation, but I'm uncomfortable saying it.

Marshal Art said...

So simply, you're just not comfortable confronting someone about their behavior? Seems a natural thing for most.

David said...

But, Marshal, a lot of what Scripture commands is counter to what comes natural. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good.

Stan said...

As I've often feared, I THINK I write clearly but am secretly pretty sure I have no means of adequately expressing myself so as to be understood.

No, I'm fine with confronting people with their behavior. "Look, you do what you want, but I can tell you that it's sin." Well, mostly. What I'm NOT comfortable with is "Hey, you, I know you THINK you're saved, but I'm quite sure you're not. Repent or else!"

Worse, that wasn't even my point. The content wasn't my point. The point was the principle. If I am uncomfortable with Scripture, it is I, not Scripture, that needs to change. Sigh.

Marshal Art said...

Seems easy to say now. Should've been easy to say in the post. I wouldn't worry too much about how easy it is to express yourself, as I worry about my own ability as well. I think we can all feel confident that asking questions for clarification is not necessarily indicative of anything other than making sure we understand each other. Why lament such a thing? It's not like any of us are like Louisville leftists trying to entrap or coerce or play deceitful games. I'm not trying to fight you...unless otherwise stated.

Stan said...

I didn't think you were antagonistic; I thought I failed to properly express myself. I didn't think you failed to understand me; I've been told by too many that many fail to understand me. (One friend told me, "You write really well; I just don't know what you're saying.")

David said...

I think that's a failure on their part, not yours. You are frequently writing about the meat of Scripture, and too many Christians are still stuck on the milk. Of course they're going to struggle with your writing. I would imagine they would even have trouble understanding the likes of Sproul, who is repeatedly touted as being able make high concepts understandable.

Stan said...

I often sacrifice clarity for "cool". I often try to write to make it fun and lose people along the way. I've had family members tell me, "You write really well. I just don't always know what you're saying." If it was just Marshal, I'd say, "That's one," but it's not. Even close.

David said...

Maybe I'm just too dense to understand I'm not understanding you?

Stan said...

Look, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

David said...

Understanding is the key element of understanding.

Craig said...

I think I understood what you were trying to say, but also took it in a different direction.

Stan said...

I think you did, yes.

Craig said...

I always hope so.