Like Button

Friday, June 19, 2020

Unfinished Songs

Generally speaking, I am not a man given to emotional outbursts. I think those who know me best would concur. Sometimes, though ...

When my wife and I were planning our wedding, I mostly kept out of it. I understood that weddings were made for brides -- make it her day. But I did have at least one input. I hoped, for our wedding day, to sing a special song for her.
Stephen Curtis Chapman's I Will Be Here said so clearly what I wanted to say to my bride. Of course, that dream died quickly. It did say what I wanted, but there was no way I could get that accomplished without breaking down. Too close to the heart. So we had Stephen Curtis Chapman sing it (a recording, not live).

You know what I mean? There are a lot of good songs out there from a lot of sources, but there a some -- a few -- that just stop me in my tracks. I cannot sing them straight-faced, so to speak. Too close to the heart. Some I can hardly even talk about without tearing up or a quaver in my voice. These are what I'm calling "unfinished songs," not because they're not finished, but because if it were up to me, we'd never get to the end of them.

I love "How Great Thou Art." The song stands tall in glorifying God. It stirs the heart and soul. Written originally by a Swedish pastor caught in a sudden thunderstorm on a mountainside, then enjoying the after-scene, it pulls from Psalm 8's "How majestic is Your Name in all the earth" (Psa 8:1) theme. Later it migrated to Russia where English translators picked it up. One of them, Stuart Hine, added the popular third verse.
And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.
See, that's the one for me. That's the trigger point, the end of my reasoned singing. God sent Him to die. Jesus died to bear my burden. He bled and died to take away my sin. Don't ask me to lead in singing that verse. I have to stop there.

In times like ours, a classic hymn like "Be Still My Soul" cannot be more appropriate. Filled with reminders to "Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain" because "the Lord is on thy side" and that "thy best, thy heav'nly Friend thro' thorny ways leads to a joyful end" are timeless as we all endure such things in life. Being a devotee of a Sovereign God, however, the line that really hits me is at the end of the second verse.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice, who ruled them while He dwelt below.
We don't find peace in avoiding difficulties. The Greek word in the New Testament for "perseverance" means literally "to remain under." We find peace that passes understanding in the confidence of His love and care and comfort in the midst of hardships. In a COVID/BLM moment, it is immense comfort that we walk with the One who ruled the storm.

More contemporary songs can have a similar effect on me. Downhere's My Last Amen gets me every time. It's about the internal almost subliminal recognition that there is something more beyond "here and now." It's about the deep yearning to be where we belong -- in the presence of our Savior. It is an intrinsic desire for faith to be sight, to no longer pray, "Amen -- let it be so," but to have it be so. That's my heart's desire. Or take MercyMe's "Even If." The song is one of anguish. Things are not going as they should. God isn't doing what you want Him to. Premised on the words of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Dan 3:16-18), the cry is "Even if You don't, my hope is You alone." That's my cry. It's not a demand for better treatment; it's a reminder that He is enough ... always. It calls to attention that God doesn't always act the way we want, but He always does what's best. I must call that to mind often.

On a whimsical note, I've heard respins of a lot of traditional hymns in recent years. Mostly I applaud the effort. I heard a few versions of "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty." And I'm just amused that the modern generation doesn't know how to pronounce "Gladly for aye we adore Thee." I mean, they love the pirate culture. They even have an "International Talk Like a Pirate Day." So why do pirates say "I, I, captain," and modern singers sing "Gladly for A we adore Thee"? Just makes me laugh. Sorry ... I digress.

There are truths that touch me at my core. Most of them are the truths that transcend my meager grasp of things and call me to Someone higher. The reminder that He is in charge despite my faulty perceptions in good and bad times is an ever-present help. The reminder of His grace and mercy to one who deserved neither is my constant need. These kinds of things really get me right where it counts, and I have to stop and think and pray and praise God.

9 comments:

Craig said...

I think that you've captured the value of music in Christianity. It's very powerful when a Truth is expressed artfully and well an set to music.

Here is love wide as the ocean
Loving kindness as a flood
When the Prince of Life, our ransom
Shed for us His precious blood
Who His love will not remember?
Who can cease to sing His praise?
He can never be forgotten
Throughout Heaven's eternal days
On the mount of crucifixion
Fountains opened deep and wide
Through the floodgates of God's mercy
Flowed a vast and gracious tide
Grace and love like mighty rivers
Poured incessant from above
And Heaven's peace and perfect justice
Kissed a guilty world in love

Craig said...

I hear the savior say
Thy strength indeed is small
Child of weakness, watch and pray
Find in me thine all in all

Lord, now indeed I find
Thy power and thine alone
Came and changed the lepers spots
And it melt the heart of stone
Jesus paid it all

And when before the throne
I stand in him complete
Jesus died my soul to save
My lips shall still repeat

Craig said...

My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Stan said...

Those last three are three of those "unfinished songs" for me. (Not familiar with the first one.)

Craig said...

The first is a hymn from the Welsh Revival (I believe) called Here is Love. I was first exposed to it by the Matt Redman version, but I'm sure there are others. Apparently it's been changed some over time.

It's on the list of music to be played at my funeral.

Craig said...

I know this one's a little bit something, but I really love the imagery in How He Loves.

"He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy."

"And we are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
If His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking.
And heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss,"

I think the writer does a good job of expressing the vastness of God's love and Grace in ways that are unexpected and vivid.

Stan said...

That last is not on my favorites list. Diminishes "He loves" to "an unforeseen kiss," a horribly pallid version of genuine love. Whether intended or not, too many CHRISTIANS are not getting it.

Craig said...

I'm not sure that I agree that "unforeseen kiss" diminishes God's love, especially in the context of the rest of the lyrics.

Fortunately, it's possible to disagree on things like this.

Stan said...

The song focuses on "how great His affections are for me." To me, that's a reduction in "love" already to a simple emotion, a warm feeling, "affection." That is so far from biblical love. Worse, one version of the song refers to an "unforeseen kiss" and another quite popular one is a "sloppy wet kiss". The imagery of Scripture is God loving us in an "agape" manner, not dependent on my response. The way the "affection" and "kiss" imagery works is reciprocated love -- closer to eros. Better imagery might have been "like a husband washing dishes for his wife". No, certainly not as lyrical, but it better captures the agape version from God than the eros version we know so much better.

Maybe "unforeseen kiss" works better. Less about me; more about Him. But I know humans. If there is something that will cause us to miss the depths of God, we'll find it and run with it. Moving Jesus to "boyfriend" status to talk about His love for us is just such a possibility.

But I'm in full agreement that this is not something believers need to divide over.