Like Button

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Pragmatic or Principled

I've used the terms "orthodoxy" and "orthopraxy" before. The first refers to right thinking and the second to right practice. I suppose, in a sense, it could be seen as the difference between principle and pragmatism. Pragmatism is doing what works and principle is the basis. Orthodoxy is why we do what's right. We do what's right because we know what's right.

We are at the edge of another prime example of pragmatism vs principle. It seems to come around every four years in America -- the presidential elections. Of course, this pragmatism vs principle is primarily among Christians. You see, Bible-believing Christians all agree that humans are sinful, that the best we can get in human government is not "good," but "the lesser evil." So we always have to hold our noses and vote. Of course, sometimes it's not so bad. Sometimes the clear "lesser evil" is noticeably lesser. In the last election I don't think it was and I said so. I warned that their supposed "lesser evil" was likely more harmful than the obvious "greater evil." And they all shouted me down. "You don't want her in office, do you???" No, obviously not. But I didn't want him. And I voted accordingly. This year it's no better. I have no "lesser evil" I can identify. So do I vote on principle or pragmatism?

I'm not writing this today about politics. The elections are just a clear example of a concept. We are very used to making our choices in opposition to principle when it seems more pragmatic. There are a lot of ways, but the one I'm most thinking about today is in church. What we aim for is "what works" rather than "what is right." It's kind of like the harm principle of morality. We determine what "harm" is and then make that the basis for "immoral" ... only to find out that we were wrong about harm. We determine what "works" is and make that "the right thing to do" only to discover that our measurement of "what works" is wrong.

Yet, it seems to be our operating principle. "You know, Scripture says that homosexual behavior is in violation of God's values (1 Cor 6:9-10). But, you know, that would mean that people I know and care about would be in violation of God's values, so let's set aside the principle and go with the pragmatic." "Scripture is not unclear that women are not supposed to lead churches (1 Tim 2:12-14), but I know a lot of godly women who could do the job, so let's set aside the principle and go with the pragmatic." "Sure, I can read the qualifications for elders and deacons in my Bible (1 Tim 3:1-13), but that's not practical. Let's ditch the principle and go with the pragmatic." "I know it says, 'Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.' (1 John 2:15) But surely you can see that if we want to compete in this world we have to embrace their ways. Ditch the principle; go with the pragmatic." "Sure, we need to 'Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.' (Col 3:16) It's just that people won't like that as much. We need to let the principle go and embrace the pragmatic." Over and over again.

I guess we're not paying much attention. We didn't make these things up; they come from the Creator, the Most High. Maybe we need to return to principle. Maybe we need to recall "right thinking" -- orthodoxy. Maybe, if we embraced the Master's plans, things would, you know, work out better. Which would make it very pragmatic, wouldn't it?

1 comment:

Craig said...

I completely agree with the point of your post. I'll note that in an election with two bad choices, the only way to participate is to vote based on pragmatism. Clearly we have the option to sit out, but couldn't it be argued that there is an element of pragmatism in that also.