Like Button

Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Karma

It wasn't that long ago that you would never have heard the term "schadenfreude." That's because it's a German term and because lately the concept has become much more visible. Oh, what concept? Schadenfreude refers to the satisfaction, even pleasure, you experience when you see someone else's misfortune. It was the driving force behind the success of AFV -- America's Funniest Home Videos. Just watching all those foolish people get their comeuppance was fun. It's the feeling you get when that guy tears by you on the freeway and you think, "Where's a cop when you need one?" only to see him pulled over to the side a few miles ahead with said cop behind him. Schadenfreude. It's the part you like best in the movie when the bad guy gets his. Schadenfreude. There is an entire YouTube channel called "Instant Karma" in which person after person does something really wrong and immediately suffers the consequences. People love it because ... schadenfreude.

I admit I like it, too. Right up until I read this.
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the LORD see it and be displeased, and turn away His anger from him. (Prov 24:17-18)
The other day I wrote about how it's okay to be wrong as long as you're being corrected by God's Word.

I stand corrected.

5 comments:

Craig said...

Are you seriously trying to tell me I can't laugh at others misfortunes. Next you'll tell me that sarcasm isn't a spiritual gift.

Stan said...

I don't think I made any such claim about sarcasm ...

Craig said...

Well...not yet, but I bet it’s coming.��

Marshal Art said...

Are you equating busting a gut at the sight of an enemy meeting misfortune in a funny way as rejoicing? How can we help it if stepping on that rake makes us laugh? It may also be true that it really couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. None of that means I'm celebrating his experience.

Stan said...

1) I'm not saying it. Feel free to see what that verse says as you will. 2) I was specific. I stand corrected. The rest of you are on your own. 3) Finding humor is not necessarily rejoicing over an enemy. You'll have to determine what is and what isn't.