Like Button

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Fear

I knew a guy from church years ago who was out of work, living in a camper at the back of the church lot, getting by doing odd jobs for the church. I asked him how the job search was going. "I'm waiting on the Lord," was his reply. "But," I countered, "you're looking, right?" "No, I'm waiting on the Lord." Perhaps it sounds holy, but surely we recognize that God uses ordinary means to achieve divine ends. He used the sinful hatred of Joseph's brothers to save Israel from death (Gen 50:20). He used a betrothed virgin to bring His Son into the world. Generally, by His power through earthly mediums He brings about His will. Looking for a job is an earthly medium.

Still, we seem to think that we should not fear. Just trust. Fear is bad. But that can't be true. Start, obviously, with "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov 9:10) and you can see right off that some fear is good, even necessary. And in a very pragmatic way, we demonstrate it every day. We lock our doors. We buy insurance. We drive defensively. We use and safeguard passwords. We live in a world that includes a significant and real threat and it is simple wisdom to act on the significant and real fear that threat produces to protect ourselves. No one says, "I'm just trusting the Lord, so I broadcast my Social Security number and bank account information to whomever asks for it." That may be fearless, but it's certainly foolish.

We are commanded to fear God, and we are told not to fear. We are wise to reasonably fear bad things and take steps to avoid them and we are commanded, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (Php 4:6) So in this COVID-19-panic world, what kind of fear is wise and what kind of fear is sin? Are we mandated to hug everyone without fear because God will keep us safe? Or is there reasonable, biblical caution available that isn't sin?

Okay, so, first, a biblical response to the current crisis.
Cleanse your hands, sinners! (James 4:8)
Yes, intended for humor, but also to illustrate that Scripture doesn't address everything. So ... what else?

I don't actually have answers to my own questions. I'm trying to balance reasonable versus unreasonable fear. I'm trying to be cognizant that Christians are boldly declaring "I will say to the LORD, 'My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.' For He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence" (Psa 91:2-3) while recognizing that genuine followers of Christ do die from "deadly pestilence." I'm trying to figure out how to tell sinful fear from reasonable fear. I think, for instance, that a panic purchase of all the toilet paper on the shelves is sinful fear (and thoroughly irrational), but what about the fact that most of the churches in my area were closed this last Sunday? I am working from home these days "out of an abundance of caution" (read "they told me to") and not because I'm scared of exposure; is that not enough fear? How and where do we draw the line? I know a 74-year-old guy with diabetes and asthma who is avoiding all gatherings (nearly all) because he's at risk and I know a 75-year-old guy with a seriously compromised immune system who is still going about his daily living because he trusts God. Is one right? Are both right? "Don't worry; you can't be hurt because God is your protector" sounds really spiritual, but it isn't factual. He does use difficulties for our benefit. And certainly if we do find ourselves in that kind of difficulty the proper response is trust and "count it all joy" (James 1:2-4). There must be a balance point, and I'm not sure where it is. Are you?

Perhaps the problem is the premise. If we are to love God and love others as our fundamental mode of operation, the question of fear would change faces, wouldn't it? We wouldn't be asking, "What can I do to protect myself?" We'd be asking, "What can I do to love?" As in the case of the aircraft oxygen masks, in order to be most helpful you have to put your own mask on first, so perhaps sometimes protecting yourself will make you more useful for others. But when our fear makes our primary concern to be our own safety and comfort above and beyond that of others, does that become sin? Just asking questions here.

10 comments:

Craig said...

The guy in your first paragraph sounds almost exactly like a family member. He lost his job and decided not to use his generous severance to set himself up to freelance (he produced audio video content for a large company), instead of selling his house he ended up in foreclosure, yet he kept insisting that God would find him the perfect job. Over 10 years later, still nothing.

In my industry, real estate, we're looking at a complete upheaval of what we thought was going to ab another strong spring and summer market. I'm not fearful, but I do have concerns. At this point it's about figuring out what the best strategy is to maintain relationships and connect with people who are still looking to buy or sell.

What I've struggled with for a while is balancing the acknowledgement that God really is sovereign and that He knows how thins will turn out, when I don't. But also realizing that I have to put in the effort and do the activities that lead to more work. My natural tendency is to take credit when things go well and put it on God when they don't. I know there's a balance and I just hope I'm close to it.

Stan said...

"My natural tendency is to take credit when things go well and put it on God when they don't."
Isn't that the truth?!

Craig said...

Yes it is. I’ve actually been very conscious of remembering to thank God when something good happens. It’s harder than it should be.

Stan said...

So we generally have difficulty thanking God when something good happens ("I guess I did okay.") and when something bad happens ("God screwed up."), eh? I know gratitude is something I'm always working on.

Craig said...

Just had this come up. I got a call out of the blue about a potential listing. I had to be intentional about stopping to thank God for this opportunity.

Bob said...

The problem with communicating the concept of fear is; that the same word is used to two distinct processes. one process goes from fear to terror. Another process goes from fear to healthy adoration. Both start from the same point but progress in diametrically different directions. We are encouraged to work out our salvation in fear and trembling. Does that mean once i determine that i am saved, that i continue in a state of fear and trembling? i understand the need for fear and trembling as a starting point, when working toward a conclusion of the matter. but that is all that is; Just a starting Point.
When i cry out Abba Father.. should i tremble in fear of Him? if i continue in the state of fear and trembling, then i will run away from him. Even the prodigal son knew he could run to his father in time of need, without fear of condemnation. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but when time passes we fall in love. Perfect love drives out all fear.

Stan said...

I liked the directional thing. Something worth considering. But I was wondering about the last. Scripture tells us that we should always fear God (whatever that means). It sounds like you're saying that we should not ... that we should "outgrow" that fear. Did I understand you properly?

Bob said...

No: we should not outgrow the fear of the lord.
because fear of the lord is a foundation from which all wisdom comes.
it's such a dichotomy like a "both and" puzzle.
where ever sin is present, there is fear of condemnation, thus fear of the Lord.
The difficulty is that even though we are children of God, sin is always present.
we may be free from the penalty and the power of sin, we are never; this side of heaven, free from the presences of sin.
Do you fear your parents? yet you know them to love you, and you love them.
Now my brain is hurting..


Stan said...

Mission accomplished

Craig said...

This seems relevant.


“The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.”—Oswald Chambers.