Like Button

Friday, December 14, 2018

I Mean, WOW!

Back in 2013 I wrote The Christmas Carol Conspiracy where I kind of had a laugh at the expense of popular, secular singers who, with no genuine faith or intent to preach the gospel, were preaching the gospel by singing popular Christmas carols. I concluded with Paul's statement.
Some ... are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will; the latter do it out of love ... the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition rather than from pure motives .... What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice (Php 1:15-18).
I still smile to hear Christ proclaimed from the lips of heathens. "Whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed." Works for me.

My wife loves Christmas music. Recently she discovered an online music channel that features Christians doing it. You may have heard of WOW. I haven't been able to find out what it stands for, but they are a music company that puts out compilation albums featuring contemporary Christian music. Well, they have a Christmas station now, too. And she's loving it. Me? Not so much.

Turns out that while non-Christians -- even anti-Christians -- are singing all sorts of praise to the Savior at Christmas, too many Christians are opting for Christmas fare like "Last Christmas" (a song about how he gave his heart to a girl last Christmas and she broke it), "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas," and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." (One actually did "Jingle Bells" complete with the "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg" verse.) I mean, hey, I get it coming from unbelievers. It's what I expect. But Christians? With the tide of anti-Christian sentiment in the public square and the absolute dilution of anything in Christmas having to do with Christ, you opt to go with the flow?

I don't anticipate that unbelievers will intentionally appreciate (value) or promote the Christ of Christmas. It's just not in their nature. But for a buck they might sing a song or two that does. On the other hand, can believers afford not to make Christmas all about Christ? I think not. I suspect they're not thinking.

9 comments:

Craig said...

I mostly agree with you on this, although I think that a pop star noted for promiscuity singing “round yon virgin”, isn’t particularly effective. I do agree that it’s good for people to hear the message.

On the other side, I definitely think that there are some Christmas songs that Christian artists probably should pass on, but I think that there are plenty of “secular” Christmas songs that aren’t problematic no matter who sings them.

I’ve got my own issues with Christmas music, but having to listen to it 15 hours at work probably doesn’t help.

Stan said...

I agree that there are secular Christmas songs that are not problematic. I think that 1) there ARE some that are problematic, and 2) the fact that secular Christmas songs are so prevalent would suggest that Christians would want to take every opportunity to focus on Christ at Christmas. My wife listens to that WOW Christmas station on a provider that offers at least 20 Christmas music options. I'd like to think I could choose a "Christian Christmas music" option and get, you know, Christian Christmas music. If I wanted a secular music option, I'd expect secular music. I'm just sorely disappointed that too many Christian musicians aren't particularly concerned about producing Christmas music with a Christian message.

Craig said...

I agree. Christian musicians should primarily focus on music with a Christian message, but as long as they stay away from problematic options and don’t go overboard with the secular, I’m ok. I think that it’s not fair to blame the artists for what the programmers play, seems like a separate issue.

Oh, if you could just stop Smitty from singing Christmas music that’d be great. 😊

Stan said...

I heard one Christian singer do "Santa Baby" on her Christmas album. Would that qualify as "problematic"?

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I've been looking for sheet music to 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.'

Stan said...

Look, I can't see how an historical event like Grandma and the reindeer would be problematic. No, I'm talking about the silly stuff. :)

Craig said...

I’d agree about Santa Baby, problem. Actually, I’m surprised it still gets played in our politically correct world where women are judged by their ability to do everything a man can do, not by their appearance.

Stan said...

I don't know. I think Santa Baby is all about "What I can get from Santa ... and I'm going for everything." Kind of like how people treat God sometimes?

Craig said...

I would go a bit farther, and say that it’s not only about what I can get from Santa but it’s about how I can get it from Santa. In the case of the song, there certainly appears to be an element of flirting, or something similar as a means to get all the stuff.

Either way, I’d agree that it’s problematic for a Christian singer.