Like Button

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Godliness with Contentment

It's Christmas Eve ... and the Lord's Day. Do we think about "all I want for Christmas", or do we think about Christ? I think I'll go with "both".

The standard question of the day, spoken or not, is "What do you want for Christmas?" Eartha Kitt recorded a famous Christmas tune in 1953 entitled Santa Baby where she outlines all the things she wants for Christmas. Simple things like a sable coat, a yacht, the deed to a platinum mine ... just the simple things that a girl might like. I recently heard a fairly contemporary Christmas song where the lyrics essentially said, "I want it all, and I want it now." For far too many of us that may be an exaggeration, but it's Christmas.

In Paul's first letter to Timothy he warns of people with doctrines different than what he was teaching. He tells of their mistaken thinking which includes this: They "suppose that godliness is a means of gain" (1 Tim 6:5). I suppose that I could point to modern day folks self-identified as Christians who think that they can claim great health and economic gains from God. Others who are, perhaps, less offensive see Christianity as a way to obtain things like love, joy, and peace. That's less offensive, of course, because there is some truth to it, but when it is from the position of demand rather than being grateful recipients, it still falls in that category of thinking that godliness is a means of gain. Paul lists this as a mistake in the thinking of people who are not aligned with Christ.

Paul further confuses the issue with the next statement:
But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment (1 Tim 6:6).
"Well, there you have it, Stan. Why don't you just back off?" Before I do, let's look at what he's saying.

Paul is confirming that there is great gain in godliness, to be sure. So why did Paul say that these false followers of Christ were wrong in their view that godliness is a means of gain? I would say that there is a missing link in there. It's the one that Paul mentions -- "when accompanied by contentment." Contentment, then, is the catalyst of gain in godliness.

In Philippians Paul writes, "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am" (Phil 4:11). He goes on to say that he is content with little ... and with much. You see, what he has does not define his level of contentment. In the Philippians passage, he explains the source of his contentment in all circumstances. "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Phil 4:13). That is the secret of contentment -- resting in the hands of the One who provides all things we need, whether that is "stuff" to get by or comfort when we don't have "stuff". It is an "other world" view, an ambassador's view. "This world is not my home; I'm just passing through."

You know what I want for Christmas? Less of me and more of Him. I know, I know, to those of you (you know, like family) who are wondering what to get me for Christmas, that's not helpful at all. But it's the truth. I want to stop thinking about "What do I want for Christmas?" and settle into the contentment that makes godliness truly great gain. Now, if any of you know where to buy that for Christmas, please let me know. I think it's a great gift idea for a lot of you.

So, you see, if "all I want for Christmas" is Christ, then it's both -- "all I want" and worship -- for the day before the celebration of His birth.

No comments: