Like Button

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Why, God?

If you've read the accounts from the Old Testament about how God chose Abraham and his offspring to be a special people to Himself, then you're also aware of how badly they messed that up. There they were, slaves in Egypt, and God shows up with Moses as His messenger, performs miraculous deeds, and they leave rich for the Promised Land. Are they grateful? No. Just days after the stunning success at the Red Sea, they're complaining to Moses about bringing them out in the desert to die. But God takes care of them anyway. And then they get to Mount Sinai and God actually visits them in visible and audible presence. Are they grateful? No. They beg Moses to deal with God while they go off and make a golden calf and have an orgy. God threatens to destroy them, but Moses intercedes and they live. Are they grateful? No. So they spend the next 40 years dying in the desert. But you know this. How many times did God intervene on behalf of Israel? How many times did they spurn His grace? The Old Testament is full of this cycle. To be sure, I would suspect that anyone who is honest would have to admit that our own lives are full of this cycle.

Did you ever wonder why? Sure, sometimes we might wonder why God chose Israel. God answers that question, in fact. In Deuteronomy He tells them, "It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the LORD set His love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but it is because the LORD loves you and is keeping the oath that He swore to your fathers." (Deut 7:7-8) It wasn't because Israel was so grand. It was because God chose to love them. Like it says in Romans--in order that God's purpose might continue (Rom 9:11).

But why? We would understand if, on the day that Adam and Eve ate the fruit, God would have snuffed them out--end of story. We would understand if God had left Israel, the grumblers, to die in Egypt or to die in the desert or to die in Babylon and Assyria. They had that coming. But He didn't. Why?

I came across the passage in which God graciously answers the question. In Ezekiel 20 the elders are asking Ezekiel to talk to God on their behalf. God replies. He lays out this history of God promising, Israel messing up totally, and God still being gracious to Israel ... over, and over and over again. In each instance, God uses this phrase: "I acted for the sake of My name" (Ezek 20:9,14,22).

It is my suspicion ... no, my conviction that this is the answer. Why did Adam and Eve survive the Garden of Eden? "For the sake of My name." Why did Noah and his family survive the Flood? "For the sake of My name." Why was Abraham chosen? "For the sake of My name." Why did God withhold judgment from Israel ... time and time again? "For the sake of My name." Why were the men that Jesus chose for His own chosen? "For the sake of My name." Why did God send His Son to die for our sin? "For the sake of My name." Why am I still living and breathing rather than being justly judged on the spot for my sin? "For the sake of My name."

We're kind of predictable. We like to think it's about us. We like to think that we're worth it somehow. God is sure lucky to have us. Aren't we just adorable? I mean, isn't that what the Bible says? God loves us so much? I think we're missing the point. I think, in every case, the real reason any good happens is "for the sake of My name." It would be wise, I think, to recognize that and be grateful.

No comments: