Like Button

Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Rider

I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war. (Rev 19:11)
Can we be honest? Revelation is not exactly my favorite book of the Bible. I mean, it's full of imagery and allegory which we're kind of stuck trying to untangle and decipher. There are horns and horses, bowls and blood, seals and woes. It's a really big drama ... of which I'm not quite clear. So when I come across one like the above, I'm pleased. Pleased as punch. (I wonder where in the world that phrase came from?)

In Revelation 19 there are thunders and judgments. There is praise and shouts. There is the Marriage Feast of the Lamb. As nebulous as all that may or may not be, this text isn't unclear at all. This rider of the white horse is "the Word of God" (Rev 19:13), the "King of Kings and Lord of Lords" (Rev 19:16). So while we may not be clear about the imagery of "From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations" (Rev 19:15), one thing is perfectly clear. He is called Faithful and True.

As it turns out, I'm banking on it. I'm placing all my hopes, all my comfort, all my anticipations on the claim that Christ is, indeed, faithful and is, indeed, true. You see, I need both. If He is true but not faithful, then He can promise but change His mind and I'm out of luck. If He is faithful but not true, He can promise but be wrong, and I'm out of luck.

This text, then, doesn't merely say that He is faithful and true. This text that He is defined by those characteristics. Those are who He is. Sure, there is more, but of all that Christ is, these two--Faithful and True--are two defining attributes for my King of Kings and Lord of Lords. So even if we've forgotten exactly the significance of a king or a lord, we still get Faithful and we still understand True. And we still benefit from knowing Christ who is called Faithful and True.

No comments: