Like Button

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Gifted

There is a disagreement in the body of Christ. Hard to believe, isn't it? But, seriously, there are some who say, "The Bible is quite clear that we provide our own faith in Christ" while others say, "The Bible is quite clear that faith is a gift from God." So, which is it?

One of the ever-popular texts that the "faith is a gift" crowd go to is in Paul's epistle to the church at Ephesus.
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Eph 2:8-9)
Did you see it? "...that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God ..." What not of yourselves? What is the gift of God? "Well," the faith-as-a-gift crowd like to assure us, it is clearly faith. It could be "grace" or it could be "saved" or it could be "faith", but since "faith" is the last thing listed, clearly this is a sure statement that faith is not of yourselves, but is a gift of God. Next!

Now, in the interest of being up front and open, I need to tell you that I am one of the "faith is a gift" crowd. Having said that, I need to tell you that this argument makes no sense to me. First, the original language isn't clear. The Greek for "that" is neuter but the word for "faith" is feminine. This violates general Greek grammar rules. I mean, it might be so, but the Greek doesn't call for it. Factor in the "it" ("it is the gift of God"), and it turns out that Greek will allow "it" to refer to faith ... or grace ... or saved. Great! No help at all. Personally, I think it refers to all of it: "saved by grace through faith." I mean, we know "saved" is a gift and we know as well by definition that "grace" is a gift. But I don't think that it's a reference to any of the individual terms. I think it refers to the process. That we are saved by grace through faith is a gift. Not the components, the process. So while I wouldn't agree with the "we supply faith" crowd here, neither would I side with the "faith is a gift" folk.

Where would I go to conclude that faith is a gift? Oh, lots of places. We know, for instance, that "God has allotted to each a measure of faith." (Rom 12:3) I don't think that means "each and every person", but "each of you to whom I'm writing." Regardless, it is allotted. Jesus said quite clearly speaking of belief, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father." (John 6:65) No grant, no faith. Paul told the Philippians, "To you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake." (Phil 1:29) Belief (and suffering) are granted. (Note, by the way, that repentance is also granted, not mustered. See 2 Tim 2:25.)

"Is that all you got, Stan?" No, not really. Peter writes to "those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours" (2 Peter 1:1). In his sermon in Acts 3 Peter said we were saved by faith, "the faith which comes through Him." (Acts 3:16). Hey, I bet this one is one you haven't seen before, even when you were looking at it. Paul said of Abraham, "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness." (Rom 4:3) Did you see it? It says "It was counted to him as righteousness." What was counted (reckoned, imputed, credited) as righteousness? His belief. Belief was credited to him. He didn't supply it; it was imputed. And having it imputed, it was counted as righteousness.

Those are just some of the explicit texts. I'm stuck with them. Rationally, of course, I'm stuck further. If I provide faith, the final component of this "by grace through faith" mix that saves me, how is that not valuable, merited, something to boast about? Others don't provide it. I did. Isn't that something special about me? But, look these kinds of things are speculations. Since I see repeated texts that specify that faith is a gift from God, I have to conclude that faith is a gift from God. I don't necessarily go to the classic "saved by grace through faith" position in Ephesians. I suppose if you want to you can. You won't be alone. But I still have to conclude that anyone who comes to Christ in faith was given that faith with which to come.

No comments: