Like Button

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs

Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God (Col 3:16).
I've always seen this as a biblical mandate. I don't know. Maybe I'm crazy, but it looks like a command. So when I approach songs, I think in terms of "with all wisdom teaching and admonishing". That's why I most enjoy those songs that can do that.

Take Amazing Grace, arguably the most popular English hymn of all time. Everyone knows it, even the pagans of our society. Because everyone wants to think that God is gracious, even those who don't believe in Him. But the song says so much more. John Newton's song captures our imagination with his ode to God's truly amazing grace, but it recognizes as well the real need for grace -- it is "a wretch like me." Not something we often seem to consider. Newton says, "T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear." Really? Yes. Because of a genuine fear of God, "How precious did that Grace appear the hour I first believed." Newton recognized that grace doesn't mean "comfortable living". He didn't anticipate pleasure from God. Instead, "Through many dangers, toils and snares I have already come. 'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far and Grace will lead me home." Good stuff in that hymn.

Or how about Catharina von Schlegel's "Be Still, My Soul"? In a world that demands only pleasant from God and complains that anything unpleasant proves "no God", she wrote, "Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side. Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide; in every change He faithful will remain. Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend through thorny ways leads to a joyful end." Not the rosy picture one might think. Instead, much, much better. This one deals realistically with life's difficulties with a genuine answer. "Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake to guide the future as He has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake; all now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below." You think you have troubles? Be still. The waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Just two quick examples. Good songs can provide good teaching and admonition. Good songs linger, reminding us of Scripture and truth, of God and His character. They roll around later in your head and heart to offer reminders and even new insights. Look for some good songs today.

No comments: