Like Button

Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Promise

I really like this opening of Paul's letter to Titus:
1 Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness, 2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago, 3 but at the proper time manifested, even His word, in the proclamation with which I was entrusted according to the commandment of God our Savior, 4 To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior (Titus 1:1-4).
Paul talks about "the faith of those chosen of God", and I like that. I have nothing about which to boast. I came to faith because God chose. Paul connects "knowledge of the truth" with "godliness". So many argue that doctrine isn't important, but Paul thinks that knowledge of the truth is interlinked with godliness.

It's the next phrase, though, that just thrills my heart. We have faith that we will have eternal life. Where did that concept come from? It came from God. He cannot lie. And before time (the literal translation of "long ages ago"), God promised that those He chose would have eternal life. It is that promise on which we rest. Nice! But think about this. If God made this promise before time, to whom did He make it? It wasn't to us. We weren't there. It wasn't to the angels. They were created around the same time we were, and, besides, it wouldn't matter if they were promised that we have eternal life. No, what we're looking at here is an inter-trinitarian promise. I fancy that it went something like this.

Father: "Son, I have a plan. How would you like a Bride?"

Son: "Excellent! Of course, she would have to be perfect."

Father: "Oh, of course! So here's my plan. I'm going to make a race of humans in our image. Out of that race we'll establish your Bride."

Son: "I like it!"

Father: "There's a catch, Son. They will sin. They will rebel. And since you need a perfect Bride, we will need to act to make them perfect again."

Son: "Seems good to Me."

Father: "That means that you'll have to die for them."

Son: "Great!"

Father: "Okay then! Let's get started. Spirit, you move across the face of the waters and then ..."

Do you get the impact of this notion? We are not chosen by God because we're so lovable. We're not saved because we're worth it. It is not intrinsic value that forces God to pull us out of damnation. No, it is Divine love for His Son. We are a gift from Father to Son, a love gift. He promised His Son before time began that He would do it, and we are the fulfilment of that promise. Wow!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

A beautiful, thrilling promise indeed! I cannot fathom how wonderful it is.

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Praise the Lord for His perfect plan and His perfect work in those whom He has called!