Like Button

Monday, November 30, 2009

Don't Think About It

"Mom," the little tyke whined as the family drove down the desert highway on another family vacation, "I have to go to the bathroom!" With little opportunity to do anything at all for the poor little guy, his mother tried to be helpful. "Try not to think about it."

"Don't think about it." That's a fairly common solution offered either directly or by implication for many of our maladies. "I have a paper cut!" "Try not to think about it." "I am grieving for a lost loved one." "Try not to think about it." "I seem to have this recurring temptation to sin." "Try not to think about it."

It is, of course, a pretty foolish suggestion. I mean ... think about it. "Okay, they told me not to think about the pain in my head and it will go away. So ... I won't think about the pain in my head. I won't think about the pain in my head. I won't think about the pain in my head." And you've managed to focus your attention on the pain in your head. When I took driver's training (way back when), my instructor warned us, "Don't look at the line of parked cars that you want to avoid. Look instead where you want to go. Why? Because you tend to go where you look." It's true in driving; it's true in life ... sometimes with tragic consequences. I would guess that we all know someone who grew up with a rotten parent or two. They told themselves from a young age, "I'll never be like my dad (or mom or whatever)." Unfortunately, the focused attention on avoiding being like whomever has ended up making them exactly like whomever, and the problems are perpetuated rather than terminated.

On the other hand, every parent of an infant knows exactly the solution to the problem. Little Johnny or Susie trips and falls, not very hard, but with quite a surprise. He or she is on the verge of crying ... and mom or dad provides the answer by simply distracting Johnny. That's right. They don't suggest that the little one does not think about the shock of the fall, but simply makes him or her think about something else. It would have worked the same for that poor unfortunate fellow who so hated his dad that he became just like him. Most likely if he had, instead, picked up a positive role model to emulate, he might have gone a better direction.

"Don't think about it" doesn't work. By working at not thinking about something, we end up thinking about it by design. What does work more often than not is substitution. It's not "don't think about it", but "think about something else." Since the mind cannot focus simultaneously on two different thoughts, you would end up not thinking about it. Better, if you thought about where you would rather be, you'd likely go that direction.

"All of this is a fine little mental exercise ... but, really, Stan, what's the point?" There is an important point here. All of us suffer from "besetting sins", those things that keep bothering us while we're seeking to be holy reflections of Christ. Lots of people offer lots of fixes. Usually it is along the lines of "Don't think about it." Don't think about whatever is tempting you. That's the basic plan. Of course, working at not thinking about whatever is tempting you simply focuses your attention on the temptation. What can you do? The answer is simple. Until the passion we have for our Savior is stronger than the passion we have for our sin, it will always be a problem. Forget about "don't think about it." Look to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart." The problem isn't the temptation, but the love we all carry for the sin we all hate. When we are thoroughly enamored with Christ, the whole problem will go away. Maybe that's a better direction to look.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

What horrible irony..."the love we all have for the sin we all hate"... I think of Paul's description of this struggle in Romans 7. Thank God it is He that draws our focus to Himself.

I love the intensity of the hunger and thirst for God and His ways in Psalm 119... That's being thoroughly enamored with Christ, as you mention... That's the state of mind and heart I seek and pray for.

Powerful post, Stan. Thank you.

Stan said...

Yes, Romans 7 does come to mind. I long to be at the place where there is nothing I desire compared to Him. I'm not there yet.

Sherry said...

Stan, you wrote, "I would guess that we all know someone who grew up with a rotten parent or two. They told themselves from a young age, "I'll never be like my dad (or mom or whatever)." Unfortunately, the focused attention on avoiding being like whomever has ended up making them exactly like whomever, and the problems are perpetuated rather than terminated."

In regard to this, both my parents and my husband's had some problems with credit card debt when he and I were growing up. Before we even met, we both had determined we were going to try NOT to ever accrue credit card debt like them, when we grew up.

Well, we have been successful at that, but also we have marvelled at how in SOME ways it seems it has been easy not to follow in our parents' footsteps but how in OTHER WAYS we have, in spite of ourselves, done just that!

I wonder, however, even though WE have not become exactly like our parents in those "some" ways, if we have "broken the chain" of generational sin or if those may have just skipped a generation. Why do I wonder? Well, perhaps because of us focusing on NOT promoting alcohol usage in any way (because alcoholism has devastated too many on both sides of our families) and on us NOT ever allowing ourselves to get in debt, it seems to have made 1 of our 3 kids (so far anyway) take an interest in alcohol and a rather big desire to have some of the many "finer things in life" he feels he was deprived of because his parents weren't willing to go to bed night after night with the knowledge and stress of being deeply in debt in order to have them.

(Just wondering now, have you ever addressed the issue of generational sins?)

We tried NOT TO make "big, hairy deals" about those things but apparently we (and the world!) said enough that it peaked his interest and desire rather than discouraged it. He is a young adult now, has suffered a few nasty hangovers, and has not yet allowed himself to get into any debt, so, I guess as time goes on, we'll see.

I'm just going to try not to think about such things. Ha. But really, the focus of my prayers for him will be that he will actually desire to follow hard after the Lord, rather than that he NOT desire those things of the world. (BTW, if anyone cared to know, we are not completely against drinking or having nice material possessions, only against drinking to escape reality and going into debt unnecessarily.)

As you wrote, it's all a matter of that upon which we are focused. Or, though not grammatically correct, what or WHO it is we are focused on.

This is a very good post of yours. Its beauty is in its simplicity.

Stan said...

I've never actually addressed "generational sins" as a focus, but I have mentioned the concept.

Danny Wright said...

I'm going to have to think about this one. (there, I said it, I can go to bed now)

Stan said...

Nice, Dan. Someone had to do it.