Like Button

Sunday, February 08, 2009

World's Worst Prophet

You remember the story of Jonah. If I had to rate biblical prophets, I'd have to put Jonah as the worst ever. You recall the story. God told him, "Go to Ninevah with My message to repent." He said, "I'm on it, Lord" and jumped a freighter to someplace else. That didn't work out too well, as we all know. Fortunately, God provided "alternate transportation". Left with the choice of being either food or a prophet, Jonah got off the beach and preached the message to Ninevah. Lo and behold, they repented! And Jonah was mad. You see, at no point does it appear that Jonah had the slightest care for either what God wanted or the best interest of the Ninevites. No, Jonah was always looking out for Jonah.

I like Jonah. I like him not because I wish to emulate him. I like him because he's such a successful failure. He fought with God and lost. He didn't preach the message right. He was angry when it worked. And still God used this loser of a prophet to bring about the repentance of the Ninevites.

I like Jonah because it gives me hope. When I worry that I'm not doing it right, I can think of Jonah. When I wonder if I have the right words or the right attitude, I can think of Jonah. When I wonder if there is any hope for the people I care about, I can think of Jonah. Jonah serves as a reminder to me that God will use whom God will use in the way God wishes to use him or her. He will accomplish His ends regardless of my ability or even desire. I cannot mess up His plan.

Jonah reminds me of that. Thanks, Jonah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most people just think of the big fish when they hear about Jonah. Everyone should re-read that book. It is only a few pages long, but as you point out there is so much more to it.

Stan said...

If you think "big fish" when you hear about Jonah, you're better informed than most. Most think "whale". :)

Science PhD Mom said...

And it's interesting that Jonah's story was included in the Bible, and he was a prophet. God can use anyone, even the hard-hearted!