Like Button

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Go To Your Room!

I admit it. I like a good argument as well as the next guy. I use the term "argument" in the legal sense -- you know, where two people present their differing perspectives and the reasons for them? I generally enjoy Christian Apologetics, the art of defending the faith. Generally I find that such exchanges are good if properly performed. I believe that I should always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks for a reason for the hope that is in me, but I insist that it be done with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15-16).

But I have to be honest. Sometimes I get really tired of it. Sometimes I just want to tell the two sides, like spoiled children, "Go to your room!" I get tired of glib anti-theists whose idea of a good argument is "someone who called himself a Christian agreed with me, so I know I'm right." (Seriously, I've actually seen that argument more than once.) I get tired of the nasty folks who call themselves disciples of Christ and attack with unkindness and disdain rather than defending with gentleness and respect. I get tired of watching arguments fired across each others' bow rather than discussions and exchanges of ideas while respecting the person. I can't tell you how often I've watched these types in toe-to-toe battles, neither understanding where the other is coming from nor going to. It's as if one is arguing, "That house is blue!" and the other is shouting, "No, it's a two-story!" and both are taking it as if their mother was insulted by the other.

It doesn't take a lot of work to find this kind of stuff, and it's not limited to those who oppose my beliefs. In fact, it is my firm suspicion that just about everyone who engages in discussions of truth will, at some time or another, fall into this trap. I know that I'm not immune, although, I believe that over the years I've learned to mellow a bit. There really are times that it's just best to turn the other cheek. There are times when it becomes absolutely evident that the concept you were discussing is no longer the issue and the other person is simply interested in fighting. There are certainly points at which there is no longer any possibility of making any headway in the exchange of ideas. They're settled and you're settled and anything more will just bring you both to blows. You can't point out that their view is misinformed and illogical (even if it is) and there isn't anything they can say that would sway you away from your view. The only option is pistols at 25 paces.

I do love the discussion. I am insatiably curious about how other people think. I am baffled by the apparent lack of reason of some people. I am interested in finding deficiencies in my own perspectives. I know they're there. So I'll take breaks from it, but I won't stop. I just wish that we could make it a rule that name-calling and unkindness could be banned and gentleness and respect in the discussion could be the norm. It certainly should be the case for Christians. Why, do you suppose, it isn't?

2 comments:

Jim Jordan said...

Hi Stan
So you've been reading some atheist v. theist pooh-throwing sites? They do require short, regular breaks if one wants to keep their mental health. I find that there are two kinds of atheists, one who will be civil if you are, then others who are simply vile.

I have two questions. One, what do you say to a fellow Christian debater who has great arguments but mispells literally every word? Or to another who makes grammatical errors in each sentence? I'm trying to think of a way to drop my brethren a hint and can't quite find the words.

Another question is that you asked a question a while back about a Bill Clinton argument here that I answered. But I wanted to know your answer.

Stan said...

I wish it were only atheist vs theist. You're right ... I'd still need a break from time to time. But it's Arminian vs Calvinist, Protestant vs Catholic, JW vs Christians ... and on and on.

I have suggested carefully to some people that their arguments would be better received if the distractions of poor grammar and poor spelling weren't there. But I've always done it "in private". I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have an email or phone number.

Your answer was right. I can't call for the arrest of all abortion doctors or women who have had abortions if abortion is legal. We'd first have to have abortion made illegal. Then the other activities would be criminalized as a result.

One thing Clinton said that I seriously rejected was that the reason we don't is that we wouldn't get any political traction. As if "political traction" is the motive for what we believe and don't believe!