Like Button

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Sunday School

Is Sunday School our undoing?

I mused recently about what could turn out to be serious damage caused by a "good thing", the United States of America. I'm wondering about "Sunday School" now, one of our "prized possessions". Is it a good thing, or is it a bad thing? I'm not entirely sure.

The idea of Sunday school has its origins back in the 18th century England, but it is better associated with Robert Raikes in the 19th century which was founded to prevent poor kids from descending into a life of crime. Sunday schools today are generally a time parallel to church time that is designed to teach kids about the Bible. It's a chance to provide them with some sort of Christian education, often while their parents are off at the church service. Of course, there are also adult Sunday school classes in many cases, intending to provide adults with a deeper understanding of the Bible and Christian doctrine, but most of us connect "Sunday school" with "children" first and foremost.

"So, Stan, what could possibly be wrong with that? Teaching kids about Christ, providing Christian education ... how could that possibly be a problem?"

I have a couple of concerns about the concept these days, and maybe pointing them out might spur some interest. I've noticed that Sunday school has changed quite a bit since I was a child. When I was young, my Sunday school was parallel to my parents' Sunday school. That is, they would go to their classes and we would go to ours. Then, either before or after, we would go to church. Admittedly I don't recall perfectly, but I think there were always nurseries, but I know that I sat every Sunday in church with my parents for as long as I can remember. I learned some interesting lessons there. I learned that there were times that I had to dress up and times that I couldn't talk loud and times when I wasn't able to simply run around and do what I wanted. I had to figure out ways to be quiet while adults were doing things that I didn't understand, and it wasn't long before I figured out that one of the better ways to keep quiet was to try to figure out what the adults were doing. So my mom gave me paper and I'd listen to that long-winded sermon and write questions about what he said so that they could tell me over dinner (When I was a kid, "dinner" was the main meal, and the main meal on Sunday was lunch.) what the pastor was talking about.

It was really some time ago that this changed. I remember walking into a Calvary Chapel in the early 80's with my 10-year-old niece who was visiting and being told, "She can't come in here. You'll have to take her to Sunday school." What? Children were not allowed in the sanctuary? Why? "They're too often distracting." Oh, I see, so because parents refuse to control their children, children are not allowed to be in church. "So," I wondered, "when do children learn to be in church?" No one really had an answer. (And I didn't go back to that Calvary Chapel, big name preacher and all notwithstanding.) Now we have children's classes that are designed to remove them from church. Some start there. Others are "excused" before the sermon. But children are not expected or allowed to sit in the sanctuary and listen to the sermon until they are old enough to know how to do that. Parents are not taught how to teach their kids how to do that. Sunday schools don't teach the kids how to do that. It's just assumed, I guess, that after a certain age (likely teen age) they become "well-behaved" (which is ludicrous if you consider the typical behavior of teens). To me, this is a problem.

The other big problem with Sunday school is a problem with regular school as well, only bigger. Many of us send our kids to school to teach them stuff they need so that we don't have to. Likely we feel inadequate to the task. Most are occupied with their occupations and don't really have the time. Besides, we have professionals to do the job. We don't need to teach them to read and write and do 'rithmetic because someone who has been taught how to do it will do it. And so our kids are sent off to school (public or private) and, according to some studies, not learn what they should be learning from those who are best prepared and paid to teach them. And then we get to Sunday school. Most Sunday school teachers are folks that have a heart for kids. They don't mind sitting out from the church service because they really want to teach the kids. Of course, they aren't trained teachers. They don't have any special teaching education. But, hey, it's just Sunday school, and, I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure that trained teachers are any better than untrained. Besides, they have good tools. They have displays and videos and storybooks. When I was in Sunday school we were entranced with the flannel boards, but now they can sit and show them a Veggie Tales movie and the kids will be quiet and, hopefully, learn something. They have crafts and things to keep the kids occupied. Nothing like a stick figure made from popsicle sticks to teach them about Noah and the ark. And parents are happy. They have a brief respite (very brief in some churches) from the kids and the kids are learning what they need.

They are learning what they need, right? I mean, they're in "school" for pity's sake. The teachers generally care about the kids and they have tools. What more could you ask? Well, unfortunately, there is a dearth of doctrinal foundation in the church today. Teachers with big hearts unfortunately often don't possess the biblical depth to pass on to the kids. And parents, thinking that their kids are getting all they need in Sunday school, fail to do their job -- "train up a child in the way he should go." Like their general education, parents leave the spiritual education of their children in the hands of others. Why? Well, surely it's good enough, isn't it? And besides, we're not qualified to teach them. (Remember, the primary qualifications of Sunday school teachers are 1) willingness, and 2) caring about the kids.) So we shortchange our kids, shortchange ourselves (because any teacher will tell you that they always learn far more than their students do), and sin in refusing to be the parents that God requires us to be.

Sunday school was a good idea. It likely still has many good uses. I know it was valuable for me when I was growing up. I am concerned, however, that today's Sunday school has become dangerous. It removes children from church where they likely ought to be and removes parents from the responsibility that God has given them to train their children. It provides an excuse for sin all in the name of "peace in the church service" and "better education for children", resulting in untrained children. I know. There are exceptions. If yours is an exception to these problems, let's just say another "Thank you" to the Father. But I fear that too many parents and too many churches are allowing a good thing to be abused and turning what was good into an excuse to sin. That could be the undoing of some.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stan,
I remember "Sabbath School" (being raised in a 7th Day Adventist church, going to church on Saturday, you couldn't call it SUNDAY School -- LOL). Anyway - it was a time of teaching, it was done @ the same time as the 'adult' class, and after that we went to worship together as a family, & sat together as a family. We sang, we sat quietly (most of the time), we drew on paper, or made a note of how many times the Minister said a certain word in his sermon. But, always we were there sitting together as a family. We observed offering, baptisms, the Lord's Supper and all the other aspects of worship. GOOD training.
I don't hear too much about any Sunday School classes, although they do have what is referred to as Children's Church during the worship service. I have no problem with this, to a point.
I appreciate those who have a heart to teach our children or grandchildren. Does this take the place of me as a parent or grandparent, NO -- it should reinforce what is taught within my home. BUT I've also noticed that children's church is becoming more of 'entertainment' vs. teaching and this is sad. I also don't think children 4th grade & beyond should be in children's church. (Saying that those 4-6th grade are 'helpers' is ridiculous. People or is it parents just don't want to set boundries and stick with them. Different soap box). They need to be in worship since children's church doesn't teach them the aspect of worshipping, sitting still and listening to the Word. Children do need to learn at their age level for a period of time. Children should NOT be dismissed as annoying or disturbing to those around. Parents need to control their children. Out of control children do need to be removed by their parents. Note to self and others ~ a crying baby is not 'out of control' but if the baby can not be consoled in some manner, the parents should be attentive and concerned enough to take the crying child out of the worship center and tend to the child's needs.

By the time kids are teenagers and allowed into the worship center they have a lazy attitude in place and are often times more disruptive than smaller children.

I too am annoyed by the churches that post in their worship bulletin, on signs, and flat out tell you face-to-face that your child is too young & NOT welcome to come to worship. What did Jesus say? Let the little children come unto me. Should we not use this as our model? OR do we continue to pick n choose which part of His Word we want to seek out and obey?

My oldest grandson was like you - he wrote out sermon notes and often times gave them to the Pastor at the end of service. This was when he was age 5-7. Sometimes he chose to stay in the worship service. :) Now, sad to say he lives back with his momma & her boyfriend and they do not attend church. PRAISE GOD though when they (he & his sister) are around us they pick up where they left off with enjoying worship & being in church. Thank YOU Jesus.

Thanks for your post,
LouAnn

Stan said...

LouAnn, thanks for the encouragement.

I suppose the real problem isn't "Sunday School" or "Children's Church". It's parents who are unaware that they are the primary teachers throughout the week, who are unwilling to discipline their children, and who are perfectly satisfied to have their kids pacified rather than taught on Sunday so they can have some quiet ... much like their TVs and video game systems do for them during the week. I shouldn't pan "Sunday School" because people abuse it. As I've said before, abusing something doesn't make that something wrong. Children's programs don't necessarily qualify as the problem as much as the enablers of problems.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with Biblical teaching @ Sunday School or Children's Church for some children this is all the Biblical teaching they get. I am surprised today that kids are either dropped off at church or walk by themselves to church - so in their case it is more likely than not that there is no Biblical teaching/foundation in the home.

The saddest part to me is the banishment of children from the worship service. I've been on a church staff and fought against this very thing only to be told that I was wrong. I was told this is SHOWING parents we truly care about their children & them to provide a save environement for them. It was very hard to sit under this leadership. Before we left our former church they were in the midst of changing so that children went directly to 'children's church' so they would not intrupt the 'flow of worship' by having them leave just before the pastor got up to preach. WHY was it an intruption? Because no one could remember to dismiss the children, therefore a panicky parent would finally speak up 'hey what about the kids?!' Now that was a disruption to the service! (it should be noted I don't know if that is what they do, have them go directly to children's church, NOR is it the reason we left our former church).

We share the same sadness of heart where these little ones are concerned.

Keep on keeping on....and bring IN THE KIDS! :)

LouAnn

Joyful Days said...

I rarely comment, but read often--this I had to comment on.

I won't attend a church that will not let my children sit with me. I require their behavior to be respectful. Also, I homeschool so I feel that the first burden of teaching falls to me.

I realize not everyone is called to school their children and also that there are some special needs children who probably aren't helped by "regular" services. But in our case, I would be sadly remiss if I failed to do so.

Your blog has been a blessing and this post is well done.

~Blessings~