Like Button

Thursday, October 08, 2026

The Command We Just Don't Get

There is a kind of stillness God commands that is not the stillness of inactivity, but the stillness of surrender. When Scripture says, “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psa 46:10), it is not asking me to freeze; it is asking me to stop pretending I am the one holding the universe together. It is a rebuke to my restless attempts to manage outcomes, fix people, and anticipate every possible threat. Stillness is the confession that God is God—and I am not.

The psalm itself is written in the middle of chaos. Nations rage. Kingdoms totter. The earth gives way. The mountains fall into the sea. In other words, the very things that make me anxious are the backdrop for God’s command. He does not wait for calm to tell me to be still. He speaks stillness into the storm. And He does it because stillness is not the product of peaceful circumstances; it is the fruit of believing that God is our refuge and strength, “a very present help in trouble” (Psa 46:1).

Stillness is also the posture of faith in moments when God fights for His people. When Israel stood pinned between Pharaoh’s army and the Red Sea, Moses said, “The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exo 14:14). Stillness here is not resignation—it is expectation. It is the quiet stance of someone who knows that deliverance is not achieved by frantic human effort but by divine intervention. God parts seas for those who stop thrashing long enough to watch Him work.

And stillness has a way of exposing what I truly believe. When I am still before God, my fears rise to the surface, my idols lose their shine, and my self reliance is revealed for what it is—thin, fragile, and exhausting. Yet in that same stillness, God’s character becomes clearer. His sovereignty steadies me. His faithfulness anchors me. His presence comforts me. Stillness becomes the place where my soul remembers that God has never once panicked, never once been late, never once been overwhelmed.

To “be still” is to let God be God in the places where I am tempted to take over. It is to quiet the inner noise long enough to hear the steady voice of the Shepherd who leads, protects, and restores. It is to stand in the middle of life’s upheaval with the confidence that the One who spoke galaxies into existence is the same One who speaks peace into my heart.

Stillness is not the absence of movement; it is the presence of trust. It is the settled conviction that the God who reigns over the nations also reigns over my circumstances. And when I obey His call to be still, I find that the world may shake—but my soul does not.

2 comments:

David said...

I sometimes think of the "being still" like those scenes in movies where the character pauses, takes a breath, and assesses the situation. And our assessment should always be, "God is in control, I am not, all will be well."

Lorna said...

I recall that you wrote very recently about “being still” (it was on 9/6/26, to be exact); that context was a battleground (both physical and spiritual). Your thought today--"He speaks stillness into the storm”--came to my mind while thinking about yesterday’s raging storm scenario. While Jesus (in His humanity) slept through that storm and was roused in order to calm the wind and the sea, God does not sleep and is always fully aware and able to work. As you point out, I don’t need to panic and fret and stress to save myself; only He can do what is necessary, and He will. May I assume that “posture of faith” as I linger in His care and protection--come what may.