Like Button

Monday, July 22, 2024

Which is Harder?

We know that we are commanded to "rejoice always" (1 Thess 5:16) and "in everything give thanks" (1 Thess 5:18) and, perhaps above all else, "pray without ceasing" (1 Thess 5:17). These commands can be difficult when we find ourselves in tough times. Rejoicing at the loss of a job or giving thanks in the death of a loved one or the like can be daunting -- nearly impossible.

I'm just wondering. When Paul spoke of being "content in whatever circumstances I am" (Php 4:11), do you think he was speaking of those hard times as well? Well, actually, he tells us. "I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need" (Php 4:12). Yes, both in difficult circumstances and in good times. But which do you think is harder? Is it harder to thank God when everything is going badly or when everything is going smoothly? Are we apt to pray when we're fully satiated or when we're in need? Are we equally grateful for bad times and good times?

I've often thought that being a Christian in a country that approves and embraces Christianity (while not actually being Christian) is a much more difficult place to be. It's easy to claim the name without living it. It's easy to call yourself a Christian and live like the devil. In our society, we're not even supposed to question that. We are inundated with "CINOs" -- Christians in name only. Sometimes I think that it's more real when we are being Christians in hostile areas. And sometimes I think it's harder to rejoice, to be thankful, to pray when everything is going good. Which doesn't speak well of us, does it?

7 comments:

Craig said...

I think they are both equally hard, but in different ways.

When things are good, we prefer to believe that we are responsible for our good fortune and not to thank YHWH at all.

When things are bad, we prefer to blame YHWH for His failures and when we pray do not thank Him for our circumstances.

It's simple in theory, that we should praise YHWH equally regardless of our situations, but it's not so easy in practice.

David said...

I would argue that Jesus said it is harder to be wealthy than poor, fed than hungry. He didn't say it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a poor man to enter heaven. Christianity has spread more quickly and strongly through the poor than through the wealthy. We can even see it today. The wealthy have all their needs taken care of, and put their hope in their money by freezing their bodies so that they can be saved into eternal life. Certainly, the poor may rail against God for their suffering, but the rich have no thought of God for their wealth.

Lorna said...

You wrote, “…sometimes I think it's harder to rejoice, to be thankful, to pray when everything is going good.” Yes, what a paradox! I agree that consistency throughout the various circumstances we might find ourselves can be a challenge, especially for those whose faith is untested and/or undeveloped. The comfortable life most Americans enjoy can certainly encourage one to dismiss any need for God in their lives (I know it had that effect on me for many years). Therefore, I can consider it a good thing when God brings me through the “refiner’s fire” as He sees fit in order to test and strengthen my faith. I am grateful to have been “placed” in this country for my earthly life, where the Christian faith is (currently) permitted, but I should not take that (current) toleration for granted.

Lorna said...

As I read this post, I immediately thought of Prov. 30:8-9: “…Give me neither poverty nor riches. Feed me with the food allotted to me; lest I be full and deny You, and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ or lest I be poor and steal, and profane the name of my God.” Having too much ease and comfort might lead to complacency (and neglecting to thank God for His blessings, as you say), while having too little, to desperation and even crime--both extremes creating temptations to not trust in and thank God for His provisions. Paul says he learned the secret of contentment in abundance or in need, and I need to do that as well.

Lorna said...

Years ago I came across these lines, which remind me to see the Lord in every circumstance and season of my life (I have this framed and set on my office bookshelf):

Happy moments: Praise God
Difficult moments: Seek God
Quiet moments: Worship God
Painful moments: Trust God
Every moment: Thank God

Craig said...

David, I don't disagree that there is some Truth to that. My point is that each estate has it's own unique temptations and that blaming YHWH for one's poverty and not crediting YHWH for one's "success" are two sides of the same coin. Both extremes come with difficulty in relating to YHWH for believers.

Personally, I find the "give us this day..." or “…Give me neither poverty nor riches. Feed me with the food allotted to me" might be the hardest for me because I'm uncomfortable not knowing what's ahead.

But each estate has it's own difficulties and focusing on YHWH in all of them is our best course.

David said...

I don't think anyone is denying that either rich or poor doesn't have it's difficulties. But the question is which is harder. Jesus said the rich, and we can see that even in micro here. So much of the newer generations hate America because of her richness. They don't seem to have the capacity for thankfulness because all their needs are cared for. Certainly the poor have the danger of blaming God for their status, and even not being thankful for what they do have. But when Jesus says it is easier for a camel to do an impossible thing than for a rich man to enter heaven, that seems to indicate that being rich is harder for salvation than being poor.