Like Button

Monday, April 08, 2024

Throwing Shade

It's kind of interesting. Our Moon is about 400 times smaller than our Sun. You'd think a little, tiny thing (in comparison) like that would be but a speck on the face of the Sun. As it turns out, however, the Sun is about 400 times farther away from the Earth than the Moon. So, small as it is, if the moon gets in the precise spot between the Sun and the Earth, you get ... a solar eclipse. Imagine that! Something so tiny throwing shade on something so big!

Of course, when you think about it, it's not so strange. We do it all the time. The combined intelligence, for instance, of the human race isn't a drop in the bucket to God's infinite wisdom, yet unbelievers and believers alike are perfectly willing to set aside God's Word in favor of Man's opinion. All we need is a "That doesn't feel quite right" and God loses and we take over. We read stuff in the Bible that goes dead against popular ideas. "Really? Turn the other cheek?" "Really? Forgive?" "Really? Submit?" "Are you serious? Die to self??" And our world screams at us, "No, that doesn't make sense" and we have to decide whether God is smarter than we are. We have to decide ... throwing shade on God.

I'm sure you can come up with your own examples. I'm sure you can come up with examples from your own experiences. Because we all, as created beings, tend to throw shade on the Infinite God. The only way that can be done, of course, is if we're too far from Him and too close to the world. Well, I think you get the idea.

6 comments:

Lorna said...

This was a timely theme for today (we’re expecting a 90% view of the eclipse here in about an hour) and a clever application of an important truth, i.e. the need to always keep our perspectives of God and of ourselves--and the vast difference between us--in clear view.

Lorna said...

P.S. Oops, I was off on my timing for the viewing here in PA. For some reason I thought the sun would be moving east to west, and we would therefore view the eclipse earlier rather than later. Astronomy is not my strong suit! (In any event, I am focusing [no pun intended] on not going outside and blinding myself!)

Stan said...

The Sun is moving from east to west. Always. The eclipse -- the relative locations of the Moon and the Sun in relation to Earth is not always from east to west.

Lorna said...

Thanks for clearing that up! (We had heavy cloud cover so virtually no visibility anyway. Maybe in 2044…if I’m still here. :)

Lorna said...

OK, so I reread my comments just now and feel chagrined. Just to make absolutely clear, I do know the sun moves east to west! Yes, "Always"! My wording above should have been, “For some reason I thought BECAUSE the sun would be moving east to west….” (Frankly, if I didn’t know that, I am not smart enough to read here! ;)

David said...

It's odd to me how many people are worked up over this eclipse, some saying it's the end time and other such nonsense, when we just had one like 5 years ago pass from WA to TX. People will always see signs in rare things, but we must not be so swayed, by keeping our light focused on the source of Truth.