Like Button

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Paradise Lost

It was the discussion topic that got picked up all on its own in the Sunday small group: Can we lose our salvation? Interestingly, the teacher brought the question out assuming everyone knew the answer was "No." He was, apparently, misinformed. It was somewhat painful to watch. All these older Christians taking Scripture out of context, missing the point, and making claims that, frankly, scared me. The leader assured us that the topic wasn't significant to salvation, like a "pre-Trib"/"post-Trib" discussion isn't. I beg to differ.

It was Jesus who made the first promise regarding the certainty of the salvation of those who come to Him. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand" (John 10:27-28). This would rank among the "precious and magnificent promises" Peter talked about in his second epistle (2 Peter 1:4). No one will snatch them out of His hand. "Oh," several assured us, "that may be true ... but I can." I get what they're saying. "Maybe you can't take me out of His hand, but surely I retain sovereignty over my own salvation!" Because if we humans are anything, it is autonymous. Self-ruled. But Jesus had just told the Jews, "You do not believe because you are not of My sheep" (John 10:26). Notice cause and effect. He didn't say, "You are not of my sheep because you do not believe." It was reversed. So those who are not among those who will be His sheep won't believe. So if I retain the final say on whether or not I ultimately end up in heaven, then Jesus was wrong. And I can't trust Him. Paul was wrong when he told the Philippians, "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus" (Php 1:6). Well ... maybe, Paul. As long as they cooperate. And Jude was overly optimistic when he praised "Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy" (Jude 1:24). You'd like to think so, Jude, but it ain't necessarily so. Human beings routinely override God's ability to keep us from stumbling. Get over it.

If you examine Scripture, you'll find that every reference to our end of the equation requires work. James said that faith without works is dead (James 2:17). Paul warned the Philippians to "work out your salvation with fear and trembling" (Php 2:12). From our vantage point, we need to be adding to our faith (2 Peter 1:5-11) in order to have any assurance of salvation. But wait! If you examine Scripture, you'll find that in every reference to God's work in salvation, it does not hinge on us. It isn't relying on us. He calls, He saves, He sanctifies. Paul asked the Galatians, "Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?" (Gal 3:3), where the clear answer is "NO!" Instead, God's work in salvation looks like this: "Those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified" (Rom 8:29-30). It's one unbroken chain from "those whom He foreknew" to "those whom He glorified" and we don't get to break that chain because that's His work. One other concern here. If we can, indeed, lose our salvation, as suggested by many in Hebrews 6, look at what that says. If that passage (Heb 6:4-8) is a proof text for people losing salvation, then it proves one other fact: Once lost, always lost. If you lose your salvation, you can never regain it. It is "impossible to renew them again" it says. The possibility, then, of losing your salvation has several direct ramifications on salvation. You can't trust God to get it done. You can't trust Scripture for making such certain claims regarding God's ability to maintain your salvation. And, oh, if you do lose it, it's game over. No coming back. Paradise lost. I'm not willing to go there in the face of the bulk of Scripture that claims the opposite, thanks.

5 comments:

David said...

I think anyone that believes they are the ultimate verdict on their salvation has a higher view of themselves than Scripture allows. I know that if my salvation were up to me, there's no way for me to know if I've achieved it. How is salvation a gift paid in full if I have to be the one to accept and keep it? If I accept it and lose it, then it was never paid in full.

Stan said...

It is precisely the problem I face, David. If I determine if I am saved by my choices and actions, how is that NOT "saved by works"?

Craig said...

Stan,

I think that referring to salvation as "our salvation" might be a part of the problem. It is is ours, earned through our actions, then of course we can revoke it. It's probably more accurately YHWH's salvation, although that might be nitpicking.

Obviously too many people misuse Matt 25, to demonstrate a salvation necessitating us doing the right things for the right people, but that's just bad interpretation of scripture.

On a larger note, I had a similar experience recently as a part of a study group. Our group had a couple of people who were not shy about jumping in with various comments that contradicted both scripture and Christian doctrine. As if their certainty proved their claims. The problem for me was that it wasn't necessarily the right time or place (and I wasn't as prepared as I should have been) to counter their claims. Nor were the leaders of the group.

This is a real problem, and something that reinforces our need to be prepared to "give an answer" at any time.

Doug said...

Stan -
You state “The leader assured us that the topic wasn't significant to salvation, like a "pre-Trib"/"post-Trib" discussion isn't. I beg to differ.”

Are you stating everyone that doesn’t believe “once saved always saved”, like myself, is not saved? My understanding is that salvation centric issues are essential to even fellowship.

Stan said...

No, Doug. Absolutely not. I'm saying that the question has direct bearing on salvation ... whether or not I can know I have it or not. I'm saying that if we can lose our salvation, then our adoption into God's house is contingent and unsure and "eternal life" is not eternal until the outcome is known. I'm saying, at the very least, that if salvation can be lost, assurance is impossible. But I believe that there are people, say, in the Mormon church who, despite the heresies of the Mormon church, are still saved by grace through faith.