Like Button

Thursday, May 18, 2023

Being Sure

The doctrine of Election is not up for debate. It is, beyond doubt, biblical. Jesus talked about it (Matt 22:14; Matt 24:22, 24; John 15:16). Paul talked about it (Rom 8:33; Rom 11:7; 1 Tim 2:10; Titus 1:1). Peter talked about it (1 Peter 1:1). And those are just selected references. Paul told the Ephesian church, "He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him" (Eph 1:4). But, look, even before that, everyone recognizes that Israel was "God's chosen people." As far back as Abraham we have God choosing whom He will save. It is certainly biblical. We can discuss how He chooses and how that works out, but that He chooses is not in question.

With that in mind, many people ask the pertinent question, "How can I know if I am one of the elect?" Good question. Peter had an urgent message in his second epistle. "Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you" (2 Peter 1:10a). Good, Peter. How do we do that? "As long as you practice these things, you will never stumble" (2 Peter 1:10b). Ah! A clear method to determine if you are one of the elect. Do you "practice these things"? So let's look at what things he was talking about.
Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith, supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. (2 Peter 1:5-7)
That's quite a list. And rather comprehensive. It starts with "faith" and, literally, builds on it -- things we are to be "diligent" to add to our faith. Virtue, knowledge, self-control, godliness, brotherly kindness, love. He goes on to say, "For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1:8). So, a comprehensive list that you should possess and be increasing. "As long as you practice these things, you will never stumble." Now, that is assurance.

I've never met a true believer that hasn't questioned his or her salvation to some extent or another. The primary reason seems to be that they recognize sin in their life and it's troubling. Of course, the measure of a true believer is not sinless perfection. Not this side of heaven. But, if we are diligent, we can build on our faith the character traits that make us useful and fruitful and allow us to make certain of our calling and election. Who wouldn't want that? So ... are you working on that? Assurance is available, but it requires diligence on your part.

6 comments:

Craig said...

I've heard it said that the very fact that one is concerned about committing the unforgivable sin, or losing their salvation, is likely evidence that they haven't. I agree that accurately assessing our sin, and our need for a savior is part and parcel of having confidence in our salvation/election.

I've always found it interesting that throughout the OT YHWH chooses people for certain purposes. Moses, David, Jacob, Joseph, were all chosen above others for particular purposes as a part of YHWH's plan. It seems strange to accept those choices, and deny that YHWH chooses/elects those whom He will save.

David said...

Knowing that I can't affect my salvation is a comfort to me and I don't understand why anyone would want that uncertainty.

Stan said...

I understand the sentiment, David, but, to be fair, I will want to believe as God's Word says even if it causes some uncertainty. I don't want uncertainty, but sometimes I get it. I can survive it because of the certainty of the goodness and faithfulness of God.

David said...

I was referencing those that insist that we can't have assurance at all.

Craig said...

Stan,

I agree that we put our faith in the certainty of YHWH, not in anything else. I just cannot understand those who seem to lust after the power to be able to provide and endure they're own salvation. To argue that it's possible to lose one's salvation, seems to require that the one making that claims be absolutely sure that they have the power to keep their salvation. I know it's our nature, I know I'm not perfect in this area, but I cannot understand why anyone would willingly want to assume the power of salvation for themselves.

Stan said...

Yes, David, I understand, but I don't think those people "want that uncertainty." I think that's all they can find.

No, Craig, I don't either. The arrogance of most humans is astounding.