Like Button

Friday, September 30, 2022

The Severity of Christ

The texts of Scripture that frighten me the most come from the lips of Jesus Christ. In Matthew 7 we read,
"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. (Matt 7:13-14)
Just in terms of numbers, a statistical analysis, the text is frightening. We live in a nation that considered itself "Christian." The 2020 Census of American Religion holds that 70% of Americans are Christian. While some of us are concerned because that's down from the 75-80% of just a few years ago, I would argue that the numbers are wrong simply based on Jesus's statement. "The way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." It would only make sense, assuming Jesus was right, that this 70% number is inflated and a significant number of the people who identify as "Christian" simply are not.

Which brings me to the other, nearby text that is equally frightening to me.
Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to Me, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and cast out demons in Your name, and do many mighty works in your name?" And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness. (Matt 7:21-23)
As if in answer to that 2020 survey, Jesus says that not all who identify as Christians actually are. Note from Jesus's statement, however, that they don't seem to know it. They refer to Him as "Lord." They believed they were doing His work. They're quite confident they're "in." They're not. Jesus lists two tells, as it were. First, are they doing the will of God? Second -- and this one we often get turned around -- does Jesus know them? Not "Do they know Jesus?" The word "know" there refers to a relationship (as opposed to simple knowledge -- data). Jesus is not saying, "I have no knowledge or your existence." He is saying, "We have never had a relationship." "Many," Jesus said, would fall into that category. And that's frightening. That's scary for us and for others we care about.

I have not been put on this earth to determine your eternal state. It's not my job or even my capacity to determine whether or not Jesus has a relationship with you, where "you" includes my readers as well as all the people I care about. My intent here is not to point fingers. My aim here is to get each of us to ask ourselves and God, "Does Jesus have a relationship with Me? Am I doing the will of God? Or am I deceiving myself?" Because "The way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it," and many will come to Jesus in the end, too late, only to discover they never had that relationship. You don't want to be in that number.

16 comments:

David said...

That second passage also speaks against all those that say we must do works or even simply believe (as if that isn't somehow a work) to be saved. Since salvation requires Jesus to know us, nothing we can do will contribute. Salvation is only through Christ's choice of us.

Stan said...

So that would mean that we need to "be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you" (2 Peter 1:10) while being confident that, if you are chosen, it was "from all eternity" (2 Tim 1:9).

Leigh said...

I am reading RC Sproul's Chosen by God its blowing my mind!

I kept hearing Barnabas song, way to destruction when reading your post

Running down the road you think you're on
Trying to sing a new song
Looking out for the people out to get you
You want the good life, but they won't let you

Broad is the way to destruction

Getting up on Sundays for a church-go
You sit and hear the words flow
You read your bible once in a while
When there's nothing on the T.V. idol

Broad is the way to destruction

You think you're alright 'cause you said a prayer
But you see your brother hurting, and you don't care
A tree is known by its fruit, that's what Jesus said
Set your heart on him and walk the narrow way instead

Narrow is the way, and few are those that find it Narrow is the way that leads to life

Marshal Art said...

If one is doing the will of God, is one not doing works? Your entire point suggests that works is the key if Jesus doesn't know those who do not do the will of God. Thus, when we seek to do the will of God, is it because we wish to please Him, or are we unconsciously doing His will because He makes us? This is far scarier to me than what you present here, because the entire thing is contradictory and points to the apostles asking Christ about what hope there is for us?

Scripture speaks to what God's will for us is. Yet, as we are not perfect, we cannot hope to perfectly abide His will, which is why we have Jesus. But if Jesus will reject us for not doing God's will...or "not know us" because we're not...every effort we make to do His will is a work on which we will not be saved.

I put my trust in Him. I do the best I can, if not better and my hope is in Him and His mercy.

Marshal Art said...

On a side note not totally unrelated to this post, I've often asked the question...mostly to those who names I will not mention...how far astray from Scripture's teaching can we be and still be considered a follower of God? This post suggests not far at all, meaning we are each at risk because we each would say "Lord, Lord...did we not do His will?" and yet not be known by Christ.

Craig said...

Yet somehow I keep hearing people who insist that the "vast majority" of humanity will be saved. One more instance of those folx contradicting Jesus.

Stan said...

Marshal, there is a necessary cause and effect. We are (quite clearly in Scripture) not saved by good works. Conversely, we are saved for good works. Jesus said, "If you love Me you will obey My commandments" (John 14:15). Jude says that Christ "is able to keep you from stumbling" (Jude 1:24). We are saved by faith alone, but not by faith that is alone because if we place our trust in Christ, we change. We are filled with the Spirit. We are born of God. Paul made the distinction "you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God" (Gal 4:9). So it is God knowing us (that's in advance) we are saved and that produces doing the will of God.

David said...

The focal point of the passage is that works alone can't save. Only being known by Jesus saves. So how can you think we're saying works save?

Marshal Art said...

Guys, your explanations, including your Scriptural offerings suggest one of two things:

1. If we do any good works because we are known by God, it suggests we do them only because we are known by God.

2. If #1 is correct, then there is no need for Christ to encourage obedience as it is automatic if we are known by God.

It's really the most common, long debated conundrum in Christianity as far as I can see, particularly given the rather contradictory nature of the various passages on the subject. In my case, I seek simply to live a life according to God's will and Christ's teachings as described in Scripture. I leave Him to decide if I'm worth saving, though I prefer to believe myself saved due to my belief in Him.

Stan said...

On one hand, we cannot do any good unless He enables it (Rom 3:12). On the other hand, neither of us implied, "It is automatic." It's not. And "worth saving" isn't in the equation. Scripture calls us sinners and enemies of God. If you are "worth saving," it isn't grace.

David said...

If you truly believe there are contradictions in Scripture, I'd suggest throwing the whole thing out. A book written by anyone that contradicts themselves isn't worth putting my life, present or eternal, into.

Marshal Art said...

Stan,

"On the other hand, neither of us implied, "It is automatic.""

Uh...yes you did, as I explained. You might not have intended it, but you did nonetheless. The problem is the concepts and principles easily lend to questioning what exactly is meant by "not by works" vs "If you love Me you will obey My commandments". They seem in conflict. And if we can't do any good without God first enabling it, then why the "if/then" of Christ's words? If God enables our good works, then it's redundant or unnecessary to encourage obedience to that which we are enabled to do.

"And "worth saving" isn't in the equation."

Of course my comments don't mitigate the teaching at all. At the same time, whether God saves or not is up to Him, which was my point. I trust in what He tells me is true, yet it's still totally up to Him whether or not I'll truly be saved. Otherwise we're back to works. See how this gets complicated? It's easy to rattle off the teachings. It still doesn't address fears and concerns for those who want to be among the elect if what the teachings say doesn't confirm specifically.

I'd prefer to believe I'm saved. Jesus said, "Many will say Lord, Lord and He will respond He doesn't know them". It suggests those who said "Lord, Lord" believed about themselves as I prefer to believe about myself.

And David wants to condescend.

Stan said...

Just curious at this point, Marshal. I offered Scriptures and showed how they could align rather than contradict. You think they contradict -- "They seem in conflict." But you appear to make no attempt to make them align. How does that work for you? How is Jesus's warning about those who believed they were His when they weren't of no concern to you?

David said...

How is it condescension? If I believed Scripture had even 1 contradiction, just 1, I wouldn't be a follower of Christ. One single contradiction means this book isn't inspired by a true and perfect God. Thus it couldn't be used as my guide to life and faith. I believe anyone that follows a book that is contradictory is only doing harm to themselves.

Marshal Art said...

"...you appear to make no attempt to make them align. How does that work for you? How is Jesus's warning about those who believed they were His when they weren't of no concern to you?"

No. I don't make an attempt to align them because I don't know exactly how I'd do that. What's more, I don't know it would make much difference as to how I go about my life. Again, I seek to live according to His teachings and trust I'm doing enough. I'm aware of my shortcomings and as I understand it, He gave His life to cover my imperfections. What more do I need to do?

At the same time, Jesus warning is of immense concern to me. That should be obvious to you given what I've said in this thread above. The conflict is that we are told we can put our trust, hope and faith in Him, but at the same time we're warned that some will be regarded as unknown to Him. How is that not a conflict or contradiction in your mind?

Marshal Art said...

David,

Your condescension is apparent in the tone of your responses.

There's a difference between an absolute contradiction, versus that which appears contradictory. You haven't resolved any of the questions I raised about this topic, but only chose to suggest I have a problem for raising them. That's condescending.

In the meantime, I haven't suggested there's any problem with Scripture itself, but only in the ability to resolve the issues which are more than a little difficult to understand. That's not the same as accepting it all without question, as it appears you do and as I'm willing to do given my faith that Christ is Lord and that God exists. Perhaps I missed the verse which says, "Just shut up and accept everything without question". How then can we be ready to give an answer?