Like Button

Friday, September 23, 2022

The Evil Rich

It is assumed in many corners that "rich = evil." We saw it in the "Occupy Wall Street" protests against the "1%." We see it in the Social Justice Warriors who argue that rich people need to have their money removed to make the world a more equitable place. We even see it in Christian realms arguing that Jesus commanded us to "sell all that we possess and give to the poor" (Luke 18:22). (Oddly enough, it is a very rare Christian who quotes this, means it, and does it themselves.) Even among those who don't believe being rich is the same as being evil, there is a gut feeling that it just might be. I mean, didn't Paul write, "Money is the root of all evil"?

What does the Bible say? Let's address that first biblical reference. A rich young ruler asked Jesus, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" (Luke 18:18). Jesus's first response was to question his ability to define "good." "No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19). But Jesus told him in order to inherit eternal life (not necessarily the same as being "saved") that he had to keep the commandments (Luke 18:20). Interestingly, the commandments Jesus gave him were the "horizontal" ones, the people-to-people ones. The Ten Commandments have two components -- vertical and horizontal. The first is a right relationship with God and the second is with each other. The young man claimed to have kept the horizontal part, so Jesus went to the vertical. "One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me" (Luke 18:22). This was not a command. It was not a universal requirement. Jesus was simply pointing out that "Section One" -- love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind -- was a failure. This young man loved his money more than his God.

The second text is also interesting. First, as some of you have noticed, it isn't in the Bible. (Which is why I gave no reference.) Here's the actual quote.
For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. (1 Tim 6:10)
It does not say money is the root of all evil. It says that the love of money is a root. And it doesn't actually say "it is the root of all evil," but that it is a root of all sorts of evil. So the problem here isn't money; it is love. It gets even clearer if you take it in context. Paul was warning Timothy about those who advocate different doctrines (1 Tim 6:3) and mistakenly see godliness as a way to gain wealth and power (1 Tim 6:5). Instead, Paul says, godliness is a means of great gain when it includes contentment (1 Tim 6:6). If we are satisfied with what God gives us ("contentment") then we can avoid the "snare" of wanting to get rich (1 Tim 6:9) -- the love of money (1 Tim 6:10). So, no, Paul isn't saying that being rich is a sin; he's saying that loving money is.

If you'd like further confirmation, just look a little farther down in the same chapter.
Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. (1 Tim 6:17)
Interesting, isn't it? Not "Instruct those who are rich to sell everything." Not "Tell them to repent." No, tell them to fix their hope on God. He supplies us with all things to enjoy. Biblically, then, being rich is not a sin. Loving money is. Placing your trust in money is. Seeking to be rich is. Or, conversely, failing to be content with what God has given us. So we need to ask ourselves not "Do I have too much money?" but "Do I love money?" We have a helpful tool here to answer with -- "Am I content with what I have?" If the answer is "No" (as our society tells us it should be), then we have a problem. And it's not money. It's the rich young ruler's problem -- loving possessions more than God. And that is sin.

16 comments:

Craig said...

Excellent points.

What's interesting is that people say that the thing that would get the rich young ruler eternal life was to complete the action of selling everything and giving it away, in other words they think Jesus was telling him that his works/actions would save him.

While the "all sorts of evil" is interesting, I think that fact that it's clear that the love of money only affects "some" have wandered away from the faith. It's definitely not a blanket indictment of those with money, and it seems to leave open the possibility that these "some" can repent and come back to the faith.

More examples of how people read things into the text that just aren't there.

Craig said...

I do, however, think that money (and the comfort that sometimes comes along with it) can be a significant obstacle to people's faith in many ways.

Stan said...

On the last thing, Craig, the Bible agrees. Riches are not wrong, but they can be dangerous. But so can sex. That's why Paul says (a little earlier) "Everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer" (1 Tim 4:4-5). Or, as C.S. Lewis put it, nothing in and of itself is necessarily sinful; it is the misuse of it that is.

Marshal Art said...

Conversely, I can't help but feel that an obsession with the rebuke of wealth is no better than the lust for it. I don't deny I want more than I have, but I'm not willing to sell my soul to get more than I have. I strive to put God first and I've struggled with how I feel for having lost out on gain for having done so. That is, I regret not having gained, though I feel just fine...or "content"... when considering why.

If I'm doing things correctly, gain happens. I don't need to sell my soul nor ignore my Lord. Indeed, Scripture often speaks of God blessing those who live according to His will, and those blessings are sometimes material. It's a contradiction to suggest that God is against wealth creation while showering someone like Job, for example, with great wealth for being faithful. Even a true understanding of the Jubilee indicates a God who wishes prosperity for His people.

Should someone choose a Spartan existence because of how such a person understands Scripture, good for him. But it seems to me that just as one should lord their wealth over others, neither should one do so with their vow of poverty. What does Jesus say about those who market themselves in this way? (Matt 6)

I've known people who are very well off without being at all among the top 1%. I wouldn't say they were incredibly generous, since I don't ask them about their charitable donations or such, but I'm unaware they're especially greedy or evil due to their having wealth. Most of the greedy people I've met in my life are no more than middle class or worse.

David said...

Since most of the people we all meet are middle class or worse, it's not surprising that you'd find more greedy people in a wider pool.

Marshal Art said...

But the point, David, is because I know so few really rich people, I have no basis upon which to suppose they're greedy at all! I've told a tale before of one encounter with a room full of very well to do people at a charity dinner for curing ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). My father-in-law having died from it, the entire family was comped by a banker who was connected with the event. It was at the Four Seasons hotel in downtown Chicago and with my best suit on, I felt I didn't belong among them. (Lots of tuxes.) There was a ton of items for sale, a silent auction and then after dinner, a live auction with an auctioneer as one would expect to find. The items auctioned off were expensive trips and entertainment equipment and motorcycles and stuff of that level. Without knowing the take from the gifts upon entry, or the silent auction, they raised about at least half a million in under two hours. The banker neighbor who got us in says he deals with these charity events all the time and most of those who were there attend half a dozen per year. All really rich people doing this kinda thing all the time.

Another case concerns a woman who was the leading money earner for a network marketing business at which I tried my hand (unsuccessfully). This woman earned $100K per month. She started up her own philanthropic organization. I've read a few autobiographies of successful men who all give generously and preach it as well.

The point is that wealth does not require greed. Greed isn't an essential part of attaining wealth. Some no doubt are greedy and are never satisfied, but from my limited experience, most just do what they do and what they do provides well for them. With regard to dealing with the "money is evil" crowd, I submit that more money means more good can be done, and being comfortable isn't a bad thing at all. It's always a matter of whether one puts the attainment of material wealth over spiritual wealth. In the meantime, I believe it was Ella Fitzgerald who said, "I've been rich, and I've been poor. Baby...rich is better." I agree and am not ashamed to say it. I'd prefer it, but I won't hang myself if I never attain that status. It's not the most important goal of mine.

David said...

So Jesus was wrong when He said it was easier for a camel to fit through an eye of a needle than a rich person to enter heaven. Rich people are just super generous and not depending on their money to provide for them. They don't go to those million dollar charity events and write off those donations. They don't horde that money and rely on it. All the Biblical references to the dangers of wealth were inaccurate. Those sports players that make more money in a year than I will in my life who then go on strike because they don't get paid enough aren't greedy. Those billionaires that are asked how much is enough and say "Just a little bit more" aren't greedy. Those rich people donating to charity out of their abundance do good,for certain, but they certainly are giving sacrificially, it's no skin off their nose.

Craig said...

Stan,

I completely agree. I know too many financially successful Christians who are incredibly generous and who are literally changing lives on a regular basis. All while being very upfront about doing so in the name of Jesus.

David,

In theory I'd agree. The problem is that middle class in the US is top 5%ish in the world. I'd also suggest that we see just as much greed from lower income folx in first world countries. How else but greed can you explain why people expect to be given money taken from others?

I don't think that it's unreasonable to conclude that God does bless some people financially more than others. I suspect that this has something to do with their attitude toward what is more important, wealth of God.

Finally, there are literally organizations who's only goal is to increase wealth among the poor.
That's probably the biggest thing Habitat does is give families the opportunity to build wealth through home ownership. Too many progressive christians are content to keep the poor dependent on handouts, instead of helping the poor build wealth that they can use to benefit their children.

David said...

Not saying there a no beneficent rich people, just that they would be the exception, not the norm. According to Marshal, it's really only the have not that are greedy, rather than the rich.

Marshal Art said...

David,

Where's your data supporting the contention "most" rich people are greedy SOBs??? What I stated was based on my own observations from several sources.

I would also point out that there is no contradiction from writing off charitable contributions as the act of doing so is separate and distinct from each other. If the tax code allows for it, taking deductions to which one is entitled is not in the least bit unethical, contradictory or hypocritical. What it means is more money for the "greedy" rich guy to donate next time, or to invest it to grow a business which then employs more people, or to develop products people need or any number of worthy purposes.

Yet unlike you, I'm not broad brushing with my comments regarding the rich. I'm merely responding to the common misconception that rich=evil or greedy. It most certainly does not.

And who are you to suppose you know upon what or whom the rich rely as they enjoy the fruits of their labors? Christ never said it was at all impossible for the rich to enter heaven, and I would suggest that camel through the eye of a needle thing is applicable to all who put wealth above God, regardless of one's portfolio.

Thus, according to ME, it's simply not my place to presume I can state with any accuracy at all how many among the wealthy are greedy, evil or less than faithful because of it. I'll leave that to those like you, as I'm sure you have some legit authority to make such judgements about those you don't know.

Stan said...

Given that Jesus said it's hardest for rich people to get into heaven, I'd think that Jesus would be the data supporting the contention that rich people tend to love money.

David said...

If it were true that rich people in the main are the most benevolent and not greedy, we wouldn't have rich people. They'd be giving all the excess to help the needy. We don't see that. We see the rich getting richer.

David said...

Every time I have ever heard anyone preach on the dangers of wealth, the warning is that being rich isn't wrong, but relying on that wealth is. The danger of wealth is that we begin to believe we're fine and begin to lessen our dependence on God. Apparently you go to a church that doesn't teach that. In your view, most rich people are probably Christians and are at least really nice people.

Craig said...

David,

I think that there is something to acknowledging that loving money is something that crosses all socioeconomic lines.

Stan,

I'm not disagreeing. I'm suggesting that the fact that Jesus says that (at least some) rich people will get into heaven indicates that wealth isn't inherently bad. I'd also agree that it's likely that most rich people love money. The problem stems from that fact that from a global perspective, everyone in this conversation is rich.

David said...

I would definitely not deny that every economic level can and does have a love of money. I'm only harping on the rich because Marshal seems to think that love of money is a predominantly poor issue.

Marshal Art said...

First of all, a couple of my most recent comments have not been posted. Is it possible I simply didn't hit the publish button for either of them? I suppose. I'll try again.

Stan,

"Given that Jesus said it's hardest for rich people to get into heaven, I'd think that Jesus would be the data supporting the contention that rich people tend to love money."

Jesus did not say this. Jesus said, depending on what Bible one references, it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven, or it's harder for a rich man to enter heaven than for a camel to pass through they eye of a needle. Neither is a comparison of rich to anyone else, nor even a comparison of greed toward any other sinful personality trait.

There's also no suggestion all rich people love money in a manner which makes it unique in any way to wealthy people. In fact, some rich people regard money as no more than the tool it is...used for trading for things we want or need. Given life is easier when we have more of what we need to acquire what we want or need, to have any desire for more money isn't necessarily a matter of either love/lust of money or greed. Having more is always better than having less for a variety of reasons.

Warnings about the temptations which follow wealth is not the same as encouraging avoidance of wealth and the latter is not preached in Scripture. In all things, put God first. That's the message.