Like Button

Thursday, July 28, 2022

In His Presence

Psalm 16 is a Miktam of David. ("Oh, thanks, Stan, that clears things right up.") "Miktam" is a word of unclear meaning, but the opening line is not. "Preserve me, O God, for in You I take refuge" (Psa 16:1). I don't know if you grasp the magnitude of that statement. David doesn't say, "In Your taking good care of me I take refuge." He doesn't say that his refuge is in comfort or good circumstances. He says it is simply in God. He says, "I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken" (Psa 16:8). God's presence, God's existence is enough.

David offers a rare point of view here. We are often quick to praise God for the pleasant things He supplies. We're happy to be grateful when we find comfort or protection. We'll thank Him for a meal, but will we do the same for lack of food? David finds his comfort in the mere presence of God. But he also tells why, an important secret, I think. "You make known to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore" (Psa 16:11). Ah, now, see? "Pleasures forevermore." That's the kind of language we recognize. But where are those pleasures? "At Your right hand." Where is the fullness of joy? "In Your presence." You and I both know self-professed Christians who seem to think their task in life is to locate those people who are having fun and put an end to it. God, on the other hand, offers "fullness of joy" and "pleasures forevermore." Where? In His presence. Right where we need to be.

2 comments:

David said...

I think that's comes from our lack of understanding just how great His presence will be. So many Christians act like this life is the ultimate existence, and then we'll get to just chill in heaven. We strive and pray and grovel for just a little more time here, as if being alive is the best place to be.

Craig said...

David,

I agree that too many minimize what being in the presence of God will be. Despite seeing people being overcome with awe at the appearance of lesser beings (angels) too many people think that they'll stroll up to God and set Him straight about what's right and wrong. It's probably good that there isn't more information about heaven because I think we'd likely take it for granted no matter what we knew.