Like Button

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Father's Day, 2022

I have talked to people on the topic of "God the Father." A couple have told me, "I don't know what that means because I didn't have a good father figure." I think that's mistaken logic. We all know what a "good father" looks like even if we didn't have one. On the other hand, I did. Growing up, of course, I didn't realize it. I didn't know my dad was outstanding. He was my dad and I just figured he was like most other dads. Listening to people today, I've figured out he wasn't ordinary.

My dad took the family on family vacations. He loved that. We went camping and we went traveling. We traveled the country one summer touring all sorts of sights in a motorhome he bought so my mom would be comfortable traveling. It was him I learned "Husbands, love your wives" by observation. Thanks to my dad's penchant for vacations, I've been to most of the 50 states including Alaska as well as most of southern Canada at some time or another. That's an adventure and an education. He loved to fish but was very careful to include his sons in that pleasure. He didn't mind at all forgoing his own fishing experiencing to keep us fishing. He prepped the gear, baited the hooks, drove the boat (when necessary), netted the fish ... ad infinitum ... so we could be with him and enjoy what he enjoyed. He was keen on our spiritual education as well. We attended church every Sunday (and more) unless someone was sick. Then we'd have our own church service at home. We went to Christian school and he took me often to Christian Business Men's Committee (CBMC) breakfasts or Los Angeles's skid row in his various ministry efforts. He wasn't merely dedicated to these kinds of things; he intentionally shared that dedication with his children -- especially his sons. We never heard, "Wait 'til your father gets home" from Mom. She was the front line discipline. I don't recall my father ever spanking me, although I do remember several "What were you thinking?" episodes, a question I found amusing. "What makes you think I was thinking?" I never said that to him. Dad was known to bring people home who needed help. He was serious about his relationship with Christ, lived it out boldly in front of his family, and urged his kids to do the same.

My father is getting up in age, but I still respect him greatly, admire his dedication to Christ, and appreciate his lifelong example and love. Because of my father, I know what a good father looks like. I will be eternally grateful to my heavenly Father for the father He gave me.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

No comments: