Like Button

Sunday, April 24, 2022

My Gospel

More than once Paul referred to the gospel as "my gospel" (Rom 2:16; Rom 16:25; 2 Tim 2:8). Of course he did. It was the gospel he "carried around" to give to whatever unbelievers he encountered. Because, as we all know, the gospel is for unbelievers. Of course, that's absolutely true, but what we often fail to grasp is that it is also for believers.

In Romans 7 Paul writes about himself.
For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. (Rom 7:14-17)
That's a little sobering to read Paul, the author of 2/3rds of the New Testament and the Apostle to the Gentiles, complaining about his sin problem. Paul, at the time of this writing, was obviously a believer. Why was he so upset about his sin? Wan't he forgiven? Yes, he was. But Paul, just like you and me, still sinned. Paul was declared justified (Rom 3:28) and given the righteousness of Christ (2 Cor 5:21). He was, positionally, perfect. Just not practically. And that's our story, too. Believers "joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man" (Rom 7:22) but find ourselves practicing the things we hate. In short, the gospel is for unbelievers, indeed, but it is also for believers. It is for sinners, believing or unbelieving. We cry, "Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?" (Rom 7:24) and hear the gospel answer back, "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Rom 8:1). Good news indeed!

The gospel is for sinners. We are sinners. Some people think that Christians view themselves as "holier than thou." Some Christians may, but they do so to their own detriment. The gospel reveals the righteousness of God (Rom 1:17) and we always need that. The gospel tells us of God's grace and mercy, God's love and forgiveness, and we always need that. The gospel tells us there is a sin problem and a sin remedy and it allows us to face our sin confident that He forgives repentant sinners. That's my gospel, too.

No comments: