Like Button

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

First Cause

God told Israel that the day would come when, for His own sake, He would make a change.
I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes and be careful to obey My rules. (Eze 36:25-27)
The language isn't strange to us believers. The concept of being sprinkled clean from sin and the language of getting a new heart all make sense to us. And it's a good thing. All humans are born with a "heart of stone" and without a "heart of flesh" we are without hope.

The thing that struck me about this text was the unilateral nature of it. "I will" is the repeated phrase. "I will sprinkle clean water" and "I will cleanse you" and "I will remove your heart of stone" and I will put My Spirit in you." It says nothing about our participation. Does it strike anyone as odd? Look at that last sentence. It says He will "cause you to walk in My statutes." Now, wait a minute. Isn't that our job? Isn't that our free will? It turns out that we are required to "work out your salvation," (Php 2:12), but the way that works is "it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure" (Php 2:13). Did you see that? He makes us willing and able to pursue His good pleasure. It is God who makes us both willing and able to obey. Paul says that as we look into His face, we "are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory" (2 Cor 3:18). It is happening. He doesn't require your permission.

We all love that verse: "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose" (Rom 8:28). Yes! Good news! But we stop too soon. What is that good that all things are working together for? We are being "conformed to the image of His Son" (Rom 8:29). And, of course, for believers -- Christ-followers -- that's a good thing. And it only makes sense that an outside force would have to accomplish that since we sinful humans have a hard time figuring out just what that looks like. So it is good "to those who love God" because that really is a wonderful thing. But it's not about us. It's not dependent on our efforts. Paul asked the Galatian Christians, "This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?" (Gal 3:2-3). I think that most of us, if we were honest, would have to answer to the affirmative. Yes, we expect to be perfected by cooperating with God. God says, "I will cause you to walk in My statutes." And then He rewards us for it. Such a deal!

2 comments:

Leigh said...

I just read this a couple of days ago and jotted it down in my journal about Ez 36:26!

Don’t read that last one too quickly, OK? One more time.
Slowly. Deliberately. Like how you’d sip a glass of sweet tea on
a blazing hot summer day, wanting the refreshment to last.
Do you see the promise? “I will give you.” “I will remove
your heart of stone” and “give you” a heart that’s alive and
tender again, one that’s beating and responsive again.
Engaged again. Able to believe again.
A prayer that’s seeking passion should not be about
manufacturing a better feeling or jostling up a better mood. It’s
simply about holding out your open hands—in thanksgiving
first, in gratitude for God’s faithfulness and His goodness and
His assured, accomplished victory over the enemy. Then
asking. Asking for what He already wants to give you. Then
waiting (expecting) to receive the promise of newness and
freshness from His Spirit as you go along, more each day—
praying until, as the prophet Hosea said . . .
He will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain
watering the earth. (Hos. 6:3)
How does a person receive rain? Not by prying it loose
from the sky but just by watching it fall, by standing in the
downpour, by thanking Him for opening up the floodgates and
sending what He knows we need and can’t get for ourselves,
yet what He so faithfully, regularly, and graciously gives.

quoted from Fervent Prayer

Leigh said...

I did not buy this book, it was recommended in an apologetic womens group ...after quoting this previous post, I decided to check out the author and found all kinds of heresy. The following link and there are many made me rethink...this book. I am thirsty. The bible is and always will be our best source.
https://bereanresearch.org/book-review-priscilla-shirers-fervent/