Like Button

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Voluntary

Paul's special calling -- his particular mission from God -- was to take the gospel to the Gentiles. Other Apostles were ministering the good news to Jews; Paul generally gave the Jews a shot and then moved on to the Gentiles. Because, Paul said, "The Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel" (Eph 3:6). Paul called it a "necessity" (1 Cor 6:16). It was his assignment and his reward (1 Cor 9:18).

Paul throws out an interesting insight in there. "For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship" (1 Cor 9:17). You see what he's saying, right? If it is voluntary, there is a reward. If not, it is still required, but don't count on a reward. Remember, that reward is in the joy of doing it (1 Cor 9:18).

I think a lot of people are unaware of this little truth. Government surely is. They think, for instance, that if they can tax us sufficiently to help the needy, we'll all be doing a good deed. If we can coerce people to "do the right thing," it will be a good thing. "Sure, you could give to charity, but wouldn't it be just as good ... perhaps even better if we just collected from your paycheck and distributed it as needed?"

"No," Paul says, "I only get a reward if I do it voluntarily." What reward? It's not entirely tangible, but it's certainly real. It is the reward of knowing that I did it, that I participated, that I chose to do it. Coersion can produce results, but doing good voluntarily rewards the one who does it as well as the one who receives it. I think that a lot of people are not conscious of that reality.

No comments: