Like Button

Thursday, January 07, 2021

Basics

We are Christians. We are people of the Book. No, the book isn't sacred, but the God who breathed it is, so we value what He had written down for us. We have a documented version of God's idea of right and wrong, good and bad, recommended and ... not. Not just our own ideas. In fact, too often, I think, we see that "superior morality" and misuse it. Yes, it's right because it's God's, but we tend to use it to be judgmental. You know -- "righteous indignation." We'll sniff at their sin or look down our noses at them for it or get angry because they're straying. Because, after all, we have what God says is right here in this Book, so we are certainly correct and they are certainly wrong.

We have, of course, missed the point. Badly. We need to get back to "first things." According to Romans, we've all sinned and our primary sin is to fall short of the glory of God (Rom 3:23). That is, if everything that is is supposed to be to glorify God (1 Cor 10:31), then anything we do that is not glorifying God is wrong. Our typical anger at sinners would qualify as wrong. Then there are the "root commands" I'll call them. Jesus said there were two: Love God with everything we have and are and love our neighbors as ourselves (Mark 12:28-31). Paul wrote, "The commandments ... are summed up in this word: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself'." (Rom 13:9-10) All of life, then, must be centered on these two things: the glory of God and love for God and people. First things. Basics.

And, yet, we seem to do this so badly. Scripture talks about fellow believers in sin, but there is nothing in there about "righteous indignation." Instead it is "restore him in a spirit of gentleness." (Gal 6:1) Because the primary concern is not "be good," but that in every instance God would be glorified and our motivation would be love. Scripture tells parents to train children, but we tend to train them not to make us mad rather than that which is aimed at glorifying God and motivated by love. And we do that all over the place.

How much different would our interactions look if the aim was God's glory and love for God and others? How would we come across? How would we approach sins and concerns? What difference would it make in our parenting and our bearing one anothers burdens? How would we see others in a different light? How would we see ourselves in a different light?

We have a "better way." Believers know the Truth (John 14:6). Let's not use that fact to destroy our witness and our usefulness and our relationships because "we know what's right and what you're doing is not it!" Our primary concern must be "This is not what's best for God or for you" and "I desperately want what's best for you." I guess this is some of what James was talking about when he said, "The anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (James 1:20) I guess our primary problem is that we secretly believe it really is all about us, isn't it?

4 comments:

Craig said...

I think that we've seen a culture develop in recent years that builds a theology that fetishises "righteous" anger and revels in it. I believe that it's based on a misapplication of Jesus and His actions in cleansing the temple. I believe that it starts with a misunderstanding of why Jesus reacted the way He did (the temple commerce was NOT glorifying God, nor was it showing love for others). Then it continues with a notion that we are in a position to emulate the actions of Jesus, without the authority of Jesus. I've seen way to many people who seem to crave this "righteous" anger they feel, and who seem to delight in the feeling they get when unleashing this anger on others. I suspect that there is a degree to which it's addictive, the feeling of power, of being God's avenging angel, must be seductive. Yet, I never see them question whether or not their anger is actually "righteous". I've never seen an explanation of how spewing expletive laden tirades at others (either in person or online) actually brings glory to God, or how it shows love for God and for others.

Anger seems like a very powerful and addictive force, that far too many Christians seem to think they can master.

David said...

I think it's worse than they think they can master their anger, but that they embrace their anger and call it good.

Craig said...

David,

I agree.

Marshal Art said...

Keeping our emotions in check is always difficult regardless of what kind of emotion it is. These days it seems it's harder than ever. I pray on it more than I ever have. I long for those days of my youth when little upset me.

As an aside, I usually vent away from what provoked me. I find it allows me time to calm down in order to deal with the issue. But I'm totally shocked when someone unloads on me. It always takes me by complete surprise to the extent I'm at a loss for words. Then I have the old "that's what I shoulda said" response later, which doesn't please me either, because what comes to mind is never what I shoulda said in reality. This shock is a blessing given what I shoulda said would only escalate tensions.