Like Button

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

My Christian Christmas List

We know how kids do it. "What do you want for Christmas?" "Oh, I want a football and a rocket ship and pink unicorn." Cute. Not practical, but cute. So in 1990 Linda Thompson-Jenner came up with a more mature version. You know it as the song, "Grown-Up Christmas List." The song is to Santa (because that's much more mature) and offers a more mature list for Christmas.
No more lives torn apart,
Then wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts

And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end.
Popularized in 1992 by Amy Grant, it somehow became something like "the Christian version" of a Christmas list. It's not. It may be more mature than the kids' lists -- it's "for a world in need" -- but it's not Christian. Mind you, it's not anti-Christian, but it doesn't work in a Christian context. "Well, maybe in heaven." No, because in heaven there will be no "wrong" against which "right would always win." And time won't heal all hearts; God will.

Okay, so I'm nitpicking. Just the same, I wanted to come up with my Christian Christmas list, just for fun. If Christ were to ask me, "What do you want for Christmas?" what would I hope to answer?
  • That Your name -- Your character, all that You are -- would be regarded as holy. (Matt 6:9)
  • That Your will would be done on earth. (Matt 6:10)
  • That every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to God's glory. (Php 2:10-11)
  • That we would learn to give thanks in all circumstances. (1 Thess 5:18)
  • That Your people would learn to love Your people in a real and visible way. (John 13:35)
  • That in all things You would be glorified. (1 Cor 10:31)
  • Come, Lord Jesus. (Matt 6:10; Rev 22:20)
Okay, no one ever said the list had to be original, did they? And almost as important to me as the list is the attitude. I desperately want that to be my daily attitude. "Not my will but Yours, Lord." That's what I want.

No comments: