Like Button

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Life Matters

Sanctity of Life Sunday is the day we remind each other that human life matters. I don't know how we got to the point that we have to remind ourselves, but we're there. Human life is no longer that significant to our culture. Even Christians struggle with it. What does God think?

Humans are unique in creation. God created humans in His own image (Gen 1:26-27). According to God, this demands that humans value humans as God's image bearers (Gen 9:6). Human life matters.

You can find this all over Scripture, but one place that lays it out clearly is the 139th Psalm. The simple starting line, "O LORD, you have searched me and known me!", is astounding on its own. Why? Why does God know me? You see, when it says He knows me, it doesn't mean, "He has data points on me." It doesn't mean He has all the information. It means He knows me in an intimate and loving fashion. God knows me that way. Life matters.

David says, "Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in Your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them" (Psa 139:16). This is intimacy. And it is from the beginning, before we take form. "How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!" (Psa 139:17). Life matters.

We live in a crazy mixed up world that can't tell one sex from another, that doesn't know the meaning of marriage, that prefers women's careers to babies' lives. It is tragic, to be sure. We know the source of this confusion, and it's not "the Left." The truth is, however, that it doesn't matter if our world doesn't get it. Life matters. It matters to God. It ought to matter to us. When more people die of abortion than the combined total of the next four leading causes of death, it is too much. But don't think this is a political issue. It's not. It's a spiritual issue. Killing those made in the image of God is a delight to those who hate God, initiated first by the father of lies. So political action may be useful, but prayer is essential because good laws won't change hearts. Only God can do that.

No comments: