Like Button

Sunday, January 05, 2020

Enough

Solomon wrote, "Better is a little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and turmoil with it" (Prov 15:16). The sons of Korah wrote, "A day in Your courts is better than a thousand outside. I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God Than dwell in the tents of wickedness" (Psa 84:10). David wrote, "One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple" (Psa 27:4).

There is a common theme here and elsewhere. I'll call it one word: "enough." The running principle here is that God is enough. There is nothing higher, nothing better, nothing more satisfying, nothing else worth Him. In Exodus God told His people, "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before Me" (Exo 20:2-3). Now it might be thought that God was saying, "There are other gods, but you need to rank Me as #1." That wasn't the intent. This "before" means "In My presence." "You will be aware of other mighty entities," He is saying, "but they will not be regarded as gods in My presence." Oh, and let's not forget; He is omnipresent. So, nowhere. No other gods. At all. Anywhere. Why? because He is jealous (Exo 20:5). You know, that thing you experience when someone attempts to take something that is rightly yours and you ardently protect it. The feeling you have when you diligently and passionately seek the best for those you love in the face of the threat that they won't get it.

Given what we know about God, "enough" ought to be enough. He defines love, drastically demonstrated in the death of Christ. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, and Sovereign. The only one. He always does what is right and defines "good." I'm sorry ... what more was it that you wanted? Because I can't think of a thing. Taking into account all that God is and all that He gives and all that He offers, there really isn't room for anything more. All we need is Him.

Paul wrote, "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am" (Php 4:11). How is that? Because "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Php 4:13). I want that contentment. I want to be satisfied in Christ. I want the joy of the Lord to be my strength (Neh 8:10). The only obstacle I face in that kind of utter contentment is my own flesh. I suppose a death is in order (Matt 16:24; Rom 8:13; Col 3:5; 1 Peter 3:18). Christ is enough.

No comments: