Like Button

Sunday, October 05, 2014

Prithee

Have you ever heard that term? It's an old English interjection, a corruption of "I pray thee". "Prithee, tell me what I can do for you." That is, "Please, I beg of you, tell me how I can be helpful."

It seems that the old English had a better grasp on the concept of prayer than we do today. For many of us, believers and otherwise, prayer has become a tool of petition. Most seem to use it as a method of obtaining what I want. I don't know how many people have told me, "I don't believe in God anymore because He didn't answer my prayers." Like a disgruntled child who dismissed Santa because he didn't bring them their wishlist, people seem to get upset with God because He doesn't respond as they demand to their demands. That's not the idea of prayer.

Prayer is, at its heart, a confession of dependence. It is predicated on need, not demand. The basic notion begins with "I can't." At its core it is an admission of inability. How, then, does it end up as a demand?

Prayer is not a bully session in which we can express our demands to God and expect Him to meet them. It's not our chance to argue God into our point of view. We're not going to give Him information He didn't have or offer new ideas He hadn't considered. Prayer is our hearts' expression of dependence on Him, our wish to share with Him what we think and feel. Does prayer change things? Yes. Mostly us.

God uses prayer. It's one of His means to His ends. He allows us to participate in His plans by answering the prayers that are in line with His plans (John 15:7). That's a really cool thing. Prayer is vital to our relationship with Him because it tunes us to Him and strengthens our bond. But when we make it about us -- our demands, our desires, our dreams -- and not about Him -- "Not my will, but Thine be done" -- we're missing the point.

Pray without ceasing. That's a command (1 Thess 5:17). "I desire then that in every place men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling" (1 Tim 2:8). That was Paul's instruction to Timothy. Jesus taught His disciples "that they ought always to pray and not lose heart" (Luke 18:1-8). Pray. Make it your daily, hourly, minute-by-minute confession of dependence on God. Because at all times in all situations that as an excellent place to remain.

No comments: