Like Button

Monday, December 17, 2012

Take Christ Out of Christmas

Have you heard about this story? On a recent Today Show segment on NBC a panel was discussing outsourcing the tasks of Christmas. You know. Maybe you can get someone to put up the lights or decorate the house or wrap the presents ... that sort of thing. Star Jones commented that some could be outsourced, but you couldn't outsource things like religious observances, prayer, church services, that sort of thing. To which NBC's Medical Editor, Nancy Snyderman, responded, "I don't like the religion part. I think religion is what mucks the whole thing up ... I think that's what makes the holidays so stressful."

Now, to be fair, most of the panel understood her to be joking. I mean, who would actually suggest taking religion out of Christmas, right? I mean, the word means "Christ-Mass". It is, by definition a religious event. There are variations in timing or full impact, but it is defined universally as "the festival celebrating the birth of Christ, a Christian festival." But, yeah, let's get that whole "Christ" and "church" thing out of Christmas. Let's see. That would leave you with ... nothing.

You'd like to think that Snyderman was being funny. You know, joking by saying the opposite of reality, that sort of thing. But this wasn't her first time. She commented before that Thanksgiving is a great time because "there are no presents, there is no religion, and you really get to give thanks." Ummm, Nancy, ummm, give thanks to whom? Remove religion and Thanksgiving becomes meaningless as well.

And you'd like to think that the American public in general would gasp and say, "How stupid can you get?" But they aren't. Some pointed out that "Jesus should be our focus," but others are saying, "Thank you for being a voice for those of us who see Christmas as a time for family, community and connection with no need to honor the birth of a 'savior.'"

A Christmas celebration without Christ or religion. A Thanksgiving celebration with no God to thank. No need to honor the birth of a savior. Yeah, I get it. We don't live in a Christian nation. But as a Chinese national I know who came from a communist, atheist country told me, if you don't have God, you don't have any basis for morality and you must expect rampant immorality. You know, like the 22 children knifed in China on the same day that 20 children were murdered in Connecticut. We are shocked at such things, but, ejecting God from the public square, we shouldn't be. And removing Christ from Christmas and God from Thanksgiving is irrational -- right in line with Scripture that says "God gave them over to a depraved mind" (Rom 1:28). Sin rots the brain. We're proving it as we speak. And no one should be surprised when we see what kind of a crazy world we're living in.

4 comments:

David said...

I recently saw a video from Penn of "Penn and Teller" speaking to this very topic. His argument was a very emotionally driven one. His goal was to make religious people feel bad for "excluding" non-Christians from the celebration of the "holiday". And if arguments were won by emotional arguments, he'd have a leg to stand on. Of course, the rational argument against would make it clear, people tend to prefer emotion over reason.

Stan said...

I wonder how much this whole thing reflects my general complaint of the loss of the English language. Taking Christ out of Christmas makes no sense. Taking holy out of holiday makes no sense. Excluding non-Christians from a Christian festival is bad? Like excluding non-family from a family gathering? We are, indeed, in a crazy world. "Professing to be wise, they became fools." Thanks, folks. Point proven.

DagoodS said...

Stan,

I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. I read your blog faithfully. A long time ago, I would also comment regularly, but I realized for a variety of reasons it was no longer expedient.

Because I am a faithful lurker, and the year is ending, I thought I would briefly state a simple message from an infidel. *grin*

A heartfelt “Merry Christmas” and may you enjoy this Christmas season to the fullest.

Stan said...

Yes, DagoodS, I remember conversations with you. I remember at some point I irritated you enough to cause you to stop commenting. And I've checked in with your blog from time to time. I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas as well, but, of course, with an entirely different focus, as you might imagine. :)