Like Button

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

No Creed but Christ

A creed is a concise statement of beliefs or principles. It is a "confession of faith". It is a brief version of "What we believe". It is the essential doctrinal statement. And it is, in so many Christian circles, taboo.

Theology, in its purest form, is the study of God and His relationship with the world. ("Theo" is "God", and "logia" is "the study of".) Of course, our standard definition today is a distinctive body of a systematic perspective on religious faith, practice, and experience. And it is, in so many Christian circles, taboo.

Why is this? How can it be that, in Christian circles, doctrine and the study of the character of God and how it relates to us can be unwelcome? Well, I would suggest that, like in so many other areas in our current culture, the whole idea of careful examination and diligent study is fading out. Our society isn't particularly interested in thinking things through anymore. (How else would you explain, for instance, that so many are so judgmental and intolerant of people who they deem to be judgmental and intolerant?) We are more experiential. "Don't bother telling me why or how ... just let me feel it." That's the way it is in much of society today. In our entertainment today, for instance, it's not about thinking it through; it's about feeling it out. Don't think through the movie Avatar, for instance. That just ruins it. A friend of mine recently told me he was moving from modern music to more classical in his studies. "Man," he told me, "they really took their music seriously!" So today it is "Thrill me; don't ask me to think."

And so it is in the Church. I know a pastor of more than 20 years who told me, "I don't know much about theology; I just love Jesus." There are a large number of people who I know as Christians who do not want to discuss doctrine or theology with me ... and I'm not talking about arguing. I'm talking about discussing. When I ask, they tell me, "I'm not really into that deep stuff; I just love Jesus." Bring up an analysis of a biblical passage or a theological concept and their eyes will glaze over. Some will cut me off with a smile and admit, "I'm not that into it." Others will tolerate me in a friendly way until they can escape. They've taken the world's approach. "Thrill me; don't ask me to think."

The whole idea baffles me. Starting with identical premises, we come to radically different conclusions. We start with "I love Jesus." There! We have something in common. So I pursue what I would think is the only reasonable course. If I love someone, I want to know all I can about them. I want more and more. I want to glean everything I can. I am insatiable because I love Jesus and want to get all I can possibly get from that relationship. So many others seem to think "I love Jesus" is the good starting and ending place. I don't get it. I mean, sure, everyone knows "experience unites; doctrine divides", but by definition truth divides. Isn't that a good thing? And don't we want the truth? I heard someplace "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." Is that something to avoid?

Doctrine is biblical. Thinking is biblical. Renewing our minds is mandated. Knowing and being known by God is essential. I have yet to find the place where I can stop and say, "I know all I need to!" Yes, it is a vibrant and experiential relationship, but if that's all it is, it would be too shallow for me. The study of biblical truth and the nature of God, in fact, is a thrill for me. So, if some of you who just aren't that into doctrine and theology are willing, I wonder if you can help me understand how "I love Jesus" can be all that you need. What is it that you find distasteful about the study of the body of biblical beliefs that make up Christianity ("doctrine") and the study of the character of God and how He relates to our world ("theology")? Can you help me understand?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many people seem to speak in incomplete sentences. The real creed of some folks is, "I love Jesus . . . but not enough to want to learn more about him or to agree with him that his word is my daily bread." And so on.

You want to ask them, "So you trust in Jesus for your eternal salvation and think He is God and the revealer of truth about this life, but you don't want to take the time to study what He has to say?"

Stan said...

I guess I don't understand "I love Jesus ... but not enough to learn more." Makes no sense to me. (Imagine if I told my wife that when I told her I loved her the first time. "I love you ... but don't bother telling me anything about you." Yeah, that won't work.)

I remember a song years ago with Jesus talking. He says, "Don't tell Me you love me if you won't give me your love." He'd have to broadcast that these days.

Science PhD Mom said...

Imagine a child saying they don't want to grow up. That's what the type of believers you describe are saying. They want to stick with their milk--they have no interest in meat.

However, just like children, if we are truly believers, we don't have a choice about growing up in our faith. We are told that God is faithful to complete the work of sanctification which He has started in us, and thus even when we say, "I don't wanna grow up!", God is going to 'grow us up' anyway! While we might not see all the steps in others, we can certainly see the steps toward maturity in ourselves. We can, however, pray for those believers that appear to us to be clinging to their bottles of milk--that God would wean them onto the solid food of His Word and bring them to maturity, so they can fully do the job they were chosen for in the body of Christ.

Stan said...

Like so many young people today who, flooded with more information than any before them, still mature at a slower rate than any before them, we end up with a Church of immature believers being dragged into maturity. Seems like there might be an easier way.