Like Button

Friday, May 10, 2024

Love and Fear

The bumper sticker said, "I love my country, but I fear my government." It has been around for a long time, I hear. One person said they saw it in the Clinton era. But, apparently, time is not healing that wound. I can't speak for liberals, but conservatives have seemed to share that sentiment for a long time. Of course, nowadays "I love my country" is on the decline, as shown when a gathering of American citizens shout, "Death to America." Revisionists want to alter history as if belittling the country will make it better. The common talk is not about how good it is to be an American, but how bad America is ... and always has been ... while they enjoy the good things we have in this country.

I don't think the idea is silly. I think there are lots of things to fear from our government. Excessive taxation, excessive spending, excessive laws, excessive money given to unreliable politicians ... on and on it goes. Common sense is no more. Boys will be girls and girls will be boys and too many nod and say, "That's right." A scant minority make majority demands and get them -- the tail wagging the dog -- not because they're reasonable, but because we can't think straight anymore. Take, for instance, gun control. We have a problem with people using guns to commit murder. So they want to make more laws to regulate them ... because the existing laws like "It's illegal to shoot someone" are so effective, right? I mean, if they're breaking existing laws, why are additional laws more effective? Just one example. Californians are fleeing California because they don't like the liberal bastion it has become ... and they're taking their voting that made it that way with them to their new homes. Another example. Government power, government oversight, government intrusion, government incompetence ... there is a list of things to worry about from our government, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's Democrat or Republican. Worse, it seems to reflect the people, since we voted in the government.

But I don't want you to think I'm without hope. I don't actually concur with the sentiment. I don't love my country so much that it is over all other considerations, and I don't fear my government so much that it alters my life. Why is that? I know the One who is actually in control. I know that no one can stop God from accomplishing what He intends (Psa 115:3; Dan 4:35) and always for good (Rom 8:28). Ultimately, if God is for us, who can be against us? (Rom 8:31) As for the rest -- conservatives and liberals, Republicans and Democrats, straight and queer, cisgender and non-binary ... whatever group you want to include -- I fear for them since all they have is what's here and that's a scary proposition.

2 comments:

David said...

There's always that tension of being engaged in politics and community, but not being reliant to it. We need to recall that when Paul was reminding us to rejoice was during a time of great tribulation for Christians.

Lorna said...

“I don't love my country so much that it is over all other considerations, and I don't fear my government so much that it alters my life.” That would summarize my stance as well (although I have not actually seen the bumper sticker/saying you mention). I like to think that I have realistic views of both “my country” and “my government,” and I believe that I maintain healthy perspectives of both by striving to be informed about our nation's history and also not being too heavily invested in politics, political parties, politicians, etc. I tend to think that the people who espouse that saying might not have such a balance.